funding vs. nature...sigh

cheddarsox

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yesterday I went to two of my favorite local amphibian breeding sites...only to find they have been drastically altered by human interaction. One, the creek that feeds it was redirected due to some landscaping on the property upstream.

I have monitored that temporary pond for 9 years, and at this time of year, barring drought, it is usually full of three species of frog tadpoles. Easily a few hundred per square yard surface. Yesterday I found two tads of one species after netting around in several areas of the pond, and the water was in very bad shape.

Then I drove across town. A large utility easement that went through a wetland and had a nature trail that was tended by a local man...has recently been declared a Nature Preserve. One of the most reliable local breeding ponds for A maculata and A opacum...has been drained and trees planted. And the acres of wetland have had a deep channel cut into them, causing them to drain into the river...so now there are just a few very small (imagine the size of your living room) ponds for the local amphibians to breed in.

This time last year, the place was a cacaphony of several frog and toad species. Yesterday, in one small pond, I found A maculata larvae and a few leapord frog tadpoles, and in a small permanent pond a few green frog tads (look to be last years).

On the one hand, I expect that to secure funds to keep up the area as a nature trail, it had to prove it would be used by people...so they drained it, put up a picnic area, and made a frisbee golf course. On the other, for decades, as a mere utility easement, it provided habitat for species not found in many other areas in the county. I saw birds there I never see anywhere else, and of course the herps and wildflowers.

I don't know if this was the only way to keep the nature area from being developed or not. Maybe it is a trade off, the human interest/use supports the protection, but it has been so drastically altered. I read the sign saying that no hunting or collecting was allowed, but after I saw what had been done to the place...I thought that more damage had been done to the local wildlife than if they allowed hunting and collecting.

A very strange way to "create" a nature preserve, by so severly altering the habitat.
I wonder if they even knew what they were doing, if anyone bothered to do a species survey etc. I know many local amateurs knew what lived on the place, but once the "town" got involved, well, put it into professional hands and they don't listen to people like us.

Sometimes, i am glad I will be dead before I have to live in a world sans amphibians...fatalistic I know, but true.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
It's pretty hard to answer your post. Unfortunately people do what people want to do and can get away with, regardless of what gets in the way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.