Fungus and 'strange' poo

D

danny

When I woke up today, I noticed that Wooper had a patch of fungus on it's foot. Duo seems to be fine, though..
I started looking for info on how to treat it on this forum. On this forum you guys reccomend special salt, but on axolotl.org it says that you can use table salt. What is the difference between the 2?
What could have caused the fungus? My chiller keeps the temp between 17-19 degrees celcius (he only starts to cool when it's 2 degrees above the indicated temp.) Is this a problem?

I also noticed that there were 2 'things' on the ground that looked like poo to me, but they look way too big to me. Even though I have my axies for about 2 weeks now, this is the first time I've seen something that looks like poo to me.
Is it normal for them to poo only once every 2 weeks or so?

Is this poo or something else?
76529.jpg

I've used uniodised table salt and aquarium or tonic salt. The tonic salt I have is quite chunky compared to the smaller grainy table salt.

The fungus could have been stress, as you've only had them two weeks, I'm assuming you cycled your tank before getting them, it could be adjusting to their new environment; or may even be something that occurred before you got them and is showing up now with the fungus. As a matter of interest have you tested your water, since noticing the fungus, for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?

Could it be regurgitated food? Does it disintegrate when you try to suck it up with a turkey baster (if you have one that is!)?

Poos can disintegrate pretty fast if you don't notice them, hence the two weeks of no poo being noticed. On the other hand it also depends possibly on what you feed them, how often they eat and how fast their bodies digest.

looks like normal poo to me. My axies do poo's like that now and then. I prefer poo's like that because its so much easier to clean up ;)

I have tested the water, and the nitrite and ammonia levels are 0. The nitrate is 12.5-25 mg/l.

I'll try to suck it up and see what happens.. (só happy that my Wooper isn't as shy/scared as Duo..)
I found some pure NaCl in the shop (evaporated sea water with nothing added).. that should be fine, right?

I dont know about the salt but that looks just like Crackers poo.

I just tried to suck up the white stuff on Wooper's finger, but it doesn't go away.. I can also clearly see the characteristic treads of fungus..so I guess Wooper'll be swimming in salt tonight :p

How long does the water need to 'adjust' when I put in the dechlorination stuff?
Is 1 bath per day enough to begin with?

I also found a single white pebble on the sand. It was about 5mm, could it be that it clogged up an axie and when it came out all the poo started coming again? (I found 5 piles of poo in total, that weren't there yesterday)

My guess is that the pebbles clogged him up. Cracker did the same thing I still have no idea how so much poo came out of him
happy.gif
He most likely still has mor pebbles. Some people on here say they still find them after a year.

Gave him the salt bath.. hope he doesn't hate me now :p

Can I save the water for tomorrow or do you need to have new water every bath?

When I gave him the salt bath today, I saw that the fungus was almost gone, but one of his toes is also partly gone.
It's not bleeding or anyting, and he doesn't seem to mind...
Can I leave him in the tank to regrow the toe, or should I put him in the fridge?

Keep doing the salt baths tell the fungus is all gone. When that is all gone put him back in the tank. He will do fine back in the tank to grow his toe back. Cracker was missing all 6 gill they were just stumps. I left him in the tank.

Another photo for the "Feces Database"
lol.gif
If his tank temperature is not too high, I'd say put him back in the tank, he doesn't need the fridge to regrow the toe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back