Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus not going away.

Nikimayy

Reaction score
My axolotl seems to have a fungus or something on his gills, around his eyes and on his body. The temperature is normally 19-21 though it can get up to 25 (pet store recommended frozen water bottles in the tank to keep it cool but it warms up overnight and in the morning before I wake up) and the parameters are normal. I’ve done salt baths over the last 5 days (3 the first 2 days, 1 on 3&4 and 2 today) but there’s no change and he’s only eaten once as well. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 356CE7FC-3031-4E51-BE93-24C4E565850D.jpeg
    356CE7FC-3031-4E51-BE93-24C4E565850D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 415

JM29

Reaction score
Hi,
The picture isn't clear enough for me to be sure.
You can look at this recent thread (with a photo) to compare :
and this one :

Nikimayy

Reaction score
Hi,
The picture isn't clear enough for me to be sure.
You can look at this recent thread (with a photo) to compare :
and this one :
Yeah that’s what they look like. Like stringy growths.

Nikimayy

Reaction score
so I’ve been Googling anchor worm and blue planet paracide is coming up as a treatment has anyone had experience with it.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
so I’ve been Googling anchor worm and blue planet paracide is coming up as a treatment has anyone had experience with it.
definitely do not treat them with it unless a vet has told you to do so, most treatments are toxic to axolotls and they can very easily be overdosed as they absorb things through their skin. he is very thin and i honestly don’t have much hope for his survival , especially with such a severe infestation

Nikimayy

Reaction score
Update: he’s getting better. The paracide worked and was recommended by a bunch of pet shops and they’re suppliers. He has a lot more energy and swimming much more and slowly eating again (though obviously not enough that’s how small he was when I got him. Thanks for that tip I’m trying to get him on live worms but I can’t find any so for now he’s just getting frozen bloodworms) thanks for everyone’s help. Would never have found out they were anchor worms without you.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Update: he’s getting better. The paracide worked and was recommended by a bunch of pet shops and they’re suppliers. He has a lot more energy and swimming much more and slowly eating again (though obviously not enough that’s how small he was when I got him. Thanks for that tip I’m trying to get him on live worms but I can’t find any so for now he’s just getting frozen bloodworms) thanks for everyone’s help. Would never have found out they were anchor worms without you.
pictures? i’m impressed that he’s improving!

Nikimayy

Reaction score
pictures? i’m impressed that he’s improving!
0286F8B4-2F23-47DC-9798-201B97A0C7AA.jpeg

He doesn’t look very different but his gills aren’t folded and all the spots where the worms were attached have become wounds pretty much but he’s much more active, eating and pooping so I would say he’s definitely on the mend

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!