Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus on 1 gill

Danielle a

Reaction score
Hiya all
Today as I was feeding my axie I noticed a white ball on 1 of it's gills and I suspect that it's fungus I've started with 10mins salt baths straight away going to be twice a day for 3days then once a day for 4days.
Any suggestions on how to prevent this happening again my water parameters show everything is ok apart from nitrate is high has been for nearly a month I'm struggling to get this down and stay down I'm doing 20% water changes 3x week to try to get this under control I will try anything to prevent this happening again
(It's cave looks dirty but it's black sand)
Also Which salt is safe to use I know I can't use table salt

Attachments

• IMG20220220193824.jpg
    IMG20220220193824.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 777
  • IMG20220220193748.jpg
    IMG20220220193748.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

wolfen

Reaction score
try using modified holtfreters solution in the tank water (I believe johns solution uses 1g per litre), clean the filter media in the old tank water as it might be gunk/muck in the filter, I use unrefined himalayan fine salt, marine salt is fine, salt for humans has iodine added to it so should never be used.

Danielle a

Reaction score
try using modified holtfreters solution in the tank water (I believe johns solution uses 1g per litre), clean the filter media in the old tank water as it might be gunk/muck in the filter, I use unrefined himalayan fine salt, marine salt is fine, salt for humans has iodine added to it so should never be used.
Is that solution to treat the nitrate? I will definitely try it
I didn't think about the filter it's due a clean aswell
I used fine Mediterranean sea salt but wasn't 100% sure so only let him bath in it for 7mins
The fungus ball fell off about an hour ago thanks for your reply it's been a massive help I'll do the filter tomorrow while he's tubbed for a few days

wolfen

Reaction score
no there isn't a solution as such for treating nitrates, you will probably find that a gunked up filter is the cause for the nitrates or some uneaten food hiding in the tank. holtfreteters is a solution that was first used in labs to keep the water minerals perfect for axolotls and for the prevention of fungus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!