Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gaging Interest for Tiger Salamanders

EllieWind

Reaction score
Like the title says, I want to gage how interested people are in keeping tiger salamanders and how interested anyone might be in potentially buying a salamander from me in the near future. I've had a few people approach me looking for tiger sals before, but want to hear a broader opinion about it.

I have identified one spot near my family's cabin (with a second potential spot nearby) where I have found tiger salamander eggs before. Last year I collected a little over 20 eggs, but unfortunately lost all the larvae to a bacterial infection within the second week of them hatching. I plan on collecting a few eggs again this late April/May, with the goal of raising them to keep a few for myself so that I can hopefully establish a captive breeding pair in the future; while I intend to find homes for the rest. Any salamanders that I don't find homes for will be released back into the place they were spawned.

So, if anyone would be interested in a tiger sal or two, feel free to let me know so that I can get a good idea of how many larvae to raise (though I'll still only collect about 20 eggs at most so that I don't leave too much of an impact on the wild population).

P. S. I should also mention that I am from Utah and the tiger salamander eggs will be collected from a site in the Manti-la Sal national forest.

EllieWind

Reaction score
After re-reading through Utah's recently changed laws concerning reptile and amphibian keeping it's come to my attention that the selling of wild-caught animals is illegal, so unfortunately I will not be able to raise and sell tiger salamanders like I had planned. I do still plan on acquiring and attempting to breed tiger sals in the future though. Please disregard this thread though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1