Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GBR Press: A newt twist in housing battle

W

wes

<u>EVENING GAZETTE</u> (Teesside, UK) 25 April 06 A newt twist in housing battle (Mike Morgan)
Protesters battling a housing development hope a rare discovery will halt builders in their tracks.
Barry Pearson, 56, of Coach Road, Brotton, stumbled across a great crested newt in his garden, next to the controversial building site.
He believes the creature came from the site, and has now contacted Redcar and Cleveland Council's conservation chiefs to alert them to his find.
As the newt is a protected species, protesters hope the discovery will lead to the site being declared a site of special scientific interest.
"The newt is a protected species - so you need a licence just to handle them," said Mr Pearson.
"The newt I found was a pregnant female, so they are obviously breeding in local ponds and have come over from where they want to build the houses which is part of their natural habitat.
"English Nature's officer said during his visit he would report the find to his bosses and we are now waiting for the area to be declared a Site of Special Scientific Interest so the land can be protected.
"If that happens, the housing scheme can't go ahead."
The development of about 20 homes sparked concern last year, and a 560-name petition was raised by campaigner Joan Fowle.
The plans, by builder Kenneth Greening of Glaisdale, were originally rejected after a site visit by Redcar and Cleveland Council.
But the scheme - with access opposite a children's play area - was later approved on appeal.
An English Nature HQ spokesman confirmed that the newts are a rare protected species.
He said: "Generally speaking, if discussions do not produce a solution, a development could not go ahead. If they are on the site, they cannot be moved."
No one was available to comment on behalf of the developers.
http://icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk/0...a-newt-twist-in-housing-battle-name_page.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1