Getting marbled salamander to eat

jitterbug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I received my Ambystoma Opacum last Wednesday, and she hasn't been interested in eating at all.

I tried bloodworms to start off with (my mistake), then mealworms and Superworms with repti calcium by tweezer (i crushed their heads so they wouldn't bite). Around 3 days ago, I left a half dead mealworm in her vivarium, and she might've eaten it? I'm not for sure though.

Besides that, when I feed her with tweezers, she just turns her head away and proceeds to bury herself in the ground. I can't find earthworms being sold at any local petstores, and I'm going to try wax worms soon.

Are there any tips to help salamanders start eating? She seems to have 0 interest in food at all from what I can tell.

I think there is an article somewhere on getting newts/sals to eat. Look at the care articles in my sig or do a search on the forum.

Many salamanders won't eat from tweezers, or even when people are watching them. In addition, mealworms and superworms aren't the best food choices.
My suggestion is to try small earthworms and crickets first. Just drop them in and let the salamander hunt. Avoid red wigglers, though; they exude a foul substance that many salamanders find distasteful. Some even believe it's toxic.
Other than that, keep the environment cool, moist, and give it lots of hiding places.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back