Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting tiger sal

Springlizard

Reaction score
I am probably going to be getting 1-2 tiger sals soon and wondering if my set up is good . I have a 40 gallon tank with tropical soil and ecoearth mix for substrate. I am going to add a layer off spagnum moss on the top and a small water dish for soaking . My question is am I missing anything? It's hard to find the specifics of what materials are good for sals and what isn't .

ANash96

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like you have just about everything! Just make sure that you have a hide for each tiger sal and also try and make their substrate several inches deep.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I would be careful using sphagnum moss, it tends to be a little too acidic sometimes

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Everything seems good, and I concur with Aaron, make sure that you don't use sphagnum moss, it can be acidic. Also, be sure that you feed them healthy foods, as tiger salamanders can become obese in captivity, one or two night-crawlers a week should be fine

Springlizard

Reaction score
Alright thank you for the information

I read through the care sheet and i am wondering if I should try to put the cage on a slant or if that is impractical for 40 gallon tank

Also is there any kind of moss I can use to help the tank retain moisture?

Tiger mom Tammy

Reaction score
I have my two tigers in a 40 gallon tank, no need for alterations, they will be good with what was mentioned. If you look at my tank set up pictures, I used to use New Zealand sphagnum moss, but as was mentioned, I learned it was acidic so its now a coco fibre soil mix. Their pool is buried for easy access and since they both go in and out of it so much, the substrate stays moist, in fact every few days I have to sive the soil to aireate it to make sure it doesn't get too damp! But every situation is different so you'll have to see how your sallies are. Some don't really go in the water much except to their business.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1