Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Giant mutant duckweed?

J

jennifer

I've had duckweed in my Daphnia tub for over a year. When it gets thick, I net out a bunch and throw it away. Recently, I noticed one duckweed plantlet that was much larger than normal. Since then, I have selectively NOT thrown away the larger kind and it's reproducing nicely.

Where did it come from? The only thing I can think of is that it was a mutation, or is some sort of "alternate form" that duckweed is able to morph into.

Anybody else ever seen this?

32102.jpg

32103.jpg

D

damon

That's pretty cool. How big would you say one of those plants are across? 10mm or so?

J

jennifer

Each individual leaflet of the normal duckweed is about 3 mm. Each leaflet of the large form is around 10 mm. Thus the whole plant, ear to ear, is almost 20 mm.

B

ben-lee

Hi jennifer, thats a lovley plant you have there you should let it grow its not every day one of your duckweeds is over grown!you should start letting it grow and your newts/sals/toads/frogs should love to have a swim with that!

M

mark

would it be possible to seperate the L. Major, and then grow just the larger ones?

J

jennifer

Mike, I was thinking maybe it was a different species. Thanks for the Latin names, I'll google them and see what I find. But it's still a mystery where it came from. Nothing new has gone into that daphnia tub for many months, except tank water. Weird.

Mark - I'm sort of doing that. When I throw away excess, I throw mostly the small form so the larger form is gradually taking over. I may try introducing just the larger form to some other tanks.

J

jennifer

Looks like I have accidentally picked up Spirodela polyrrhiza (formerly Lemna major).

B

ben-lee

Sounds cool, you should keep it and let it multiply and sell it on here/ebay or ur own online shop....plus eat apples, they good for your teeth
lol.gif

andrew

Reaction score
I could be Nymphoides pelatatum. Its an invasive plant which is bigger than Lemna minor but just as pretty. Plus it feels like a hard sponge when you crush it. Its got really long roots and can be small in size in an aquarium. It reproduces really fast.

C

carl

hi i can get that from a pond near me but i put it in a tank once and it just died

W

william

you need lots of light for these to survive, i had some ivy leaved duckweed, not sure of scientific name, it can tolerate lower light levels, mine lasted for a month or so

E

edward

I grow duckweed in tanks at work under 4 foot standard T12 florescent lights. It grows best under a single twin bulb fixture as opposed to a double bulb fixture. The lights are about 18" above the tanks.

Ed

W

william

no we have the lemna species, and i've always been told that they are low light level plants, so i've never bothered with them.

andrew

Reaction score
Now im floating heart obsessed! HAha, Has anyone ever tried to keep floating hearts in shallow water as a way to help your small herps to stay above the water? I was thinking of doing this in the summer, I was gonna make a small pond area in my new viv for bumble bee toads. No bigger than a big water dish, though slightly deeper. Maybe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1