Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Giant Salamander on the Plate

Joost

Reaction score
very sorry to see such pics... (how do they pick that up with 2 sticks:D)

But on the other hand: In the western world, we eat cow meat. You should here the people in India...

KJ_29

Reaction score
Whilst I wouldn't criticise other people's cultures - largely down to my own ignorance of other cultures - I can't imagine many people could condone the killing and eating of an edangered species.
Aside from it being endangered, does anyone think it looks remotely appetising? No thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My philosophy is the rarer the species, the more delicious it must be. Spotted owl pate anyone? Kihansi Spray Toad omelette?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I wonder if that is on the McDonald's menue in China? Do they call it a McSally sandwich?

Jake

Reaction score
Those aren't the only people who eat giant salamanders. I've read somewhere that they are "farmed" in the rivers they live in specifically for eating.

My philosophy is the rarer the species, the more delicious it must be. Spotted owl pate anyone? Kihansi Spray Toad omelette?

It's sad we can't have stuffed ivory billed woodpecker for Thanksgiving any more, they'd probably go great with a little passenger pigeon gravy!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As far as i know the species is bred in captivity or semi-captivity for feeding porpuses. As far as they are not being taken from the wild, none of us can critisize their culinary tastes. Just because we have a very particular point of view when caudates come in to play, it doesn´t mean it´´s wrong to eat animals raised for that purpose.

aramcheck

Reaction score
As far as i know the species is bred in captivity or semi-captivity for feeding porpuses. As far as they are not being taken from the wild, none of us can critisize their culinary tastes. Just because we have a very particular point of view when caudates come in to play, it doesn´t mean it´´s wrong to eat animals raised for that purpose.

Giant Chinese Salamanders are indeed farmed for meat production, so lets hope that one was from a farm and not one of the fiew left in the wild...
As for not being judgemental, I am a veggie, so I'll judge...

A

achiinto

Yes, I do have heard that there are captive breeding going on for food market purpose. Let's hope this one on the plate is from captive breed. I have heard from some Chinese people that they were able to find some Giant Salamander from some unknown source as pet as well.

I found a post on the internet, EDGE :: Amphibian Species Information

It suggested that although captive breeding seems to be successful, the salamander bred is not released for conservation purpose.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Well If they are farmed for eating how do I get one sent to me? I'll be building a small river in my basemnet if anyone needs me.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
How come not more info on the farms? I wonder if they aren't similar to "eel farms" which merely raise babies to eatin size or like those "farms" that ship WC animals.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Farming a salamander that grows that big really wouldn't make sense. It has to take 5-10 years to grow to adulthood. That would have to cost a few thousand if they were farm bred to eat. It would only make sense to sell them as 10 inch juvies for a few thousands as pets. But then if you watch what Japan is doing to Whales I guess it would be no surprise that it was caught from a stream and eaten.

Jake

Reaction score
Farming a salamander that grows that big really wouldn't make sense. It has to take 5-10 years to grow to adulthood. That would have to cost a few thousand if they were farm bred to eat. It would only make sense to sell them as 10 inch juvies for a few thousands as pets. But then if you watch what Japan is doing to Whales I guess it would be no surprise that it was caught from a stream and eaten.

I couldn't agree more! The one on that plate is a beast, it's probably well over 10 years old. The technique for "farming" them is to fence off a section of their native habitat...which is no different than someone collecting salamanders in a pond on their property and claiming they're "ranched". What happened to eating chicken and dogs??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1