Gill Color and Fluffiness

Emmajane07

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've seen leucistics with fiery fluffy gills and some with very light pink, almost bald gills. Is this genetics? Oxygen? Activity level?

Its a few factors...

Genetics do play a role with basics of shape, length and fullness.
Water quality (temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), injury and cannibalism are huge.

Fungus from stress and water quality will damage gills and they may or may not grow back.

Nips from fish, other axolotls etc can cause uneven/short gills

When I grow out babies you see how all the babies tend to have similar length and fluffiness gills in a clutch but the next clutch has their own gill traits.

they tend to loss fluff and length from water quality and if kept with other juvies that nip - it takes a while before they stop being so nippy.

Thanks so much for your informative reply. I'm debating getting a couple minis. The leuci has really pale pink gills and both have almost bald gills, but I'm wondering if it is because they are currently tubbed that is contributing to the pale and less fluffy nature of the gills or if that's just how they'll be forever.

Attachments

• received_594793221213595.jpeg
    received_594793221213595.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 4,092
I currently own my very first axolotl, and I am still learning. So far, we have made it past the six week mark very smoothly. My little bloke seems to be quite happy and friendly.

One thing I do notice is that when resting, his gills are pale. However in the evening when he gets out of bed and becomes active, his gills go a very dark pink. I assume it is due to activity and blood flow.

It may be that your friends are resting? Do their gills change colour when active?

Ps. My boy is an albino, by the way.

The color of the gill is usually due to blood flow. You might notice when they eat or move around, their gills become bright red or pink.

As of fluffiness, water quality, health, and age play a huge role. Unhealthy axolotl's gills will shrink and their filiments will fall out. Naturally, water quality directly influences this. If your lucy is being kept in a tub without water changes daily and cooling, chances are that's why. Older axolotl's gills shrink sometimes too, and younger axolotls tend to have less filiments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back