Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill fungi?

Reaction score
hello, i feel like I have been posting a shit ton.... but i hope this is the last one for a while... i just saw last night that my female axie has some kinds white looking cotton balls on her gills from what i read online the best way to treat it the salt baths, but me being the scary cat I am I don't wanna hurt my axis anymore then I have to. is there any way that I can treat it without giving her a salt bath? some places i read is leaving it ( the fungi) for about a week and see if your axis can fight it off. they also say that lowering the water temp steadily will help as well. i just need your opinions on how to handle with and how to clear it without a salt bath right away
20200727_075618.jpg

AlexisJG

Reaction score
Hi! I 100% recommend tubbing with a bubbler for quarantine with daily 100% water changes. You can also do a 100% black tea bath, way more mild. It’s not as strong so it may not get rid right away but it should help and it’s good for their slime coat as well. Buy 100% black tea (caff or decaff , they say it doesn’t affect them I just got decaf just because) look at the ingredients and make sure it only has black tea listed. Boil your water, make the tea, let it chill in the fridge, I use Tupperware, add dechlorinator/water conditioner, put in your axie for 5-10 mins max. I believe you can do this up to 3 times per week max. Best of luck ♥️

Reaction score
Hi! I 100% recommend tubbing with a bubbler for quarantine with daily 100% water changes. You can also do a 100% black tea bath, way more mild. It’s not as strong so it may not get rid right away but it should help and it’s good for their slime coat as well. Buy 100% black tea (caff or decaff , they say it doesn’t affect them I just got decaf just because) look at the ingredients and make sure it only has black tea listed. Boil your water, make the tea, let it chill in the fridge, I use Tupperware, add dechlorinator/water conditioner, put in your axie for 5-10 mins max. I believe you can do this up to 3 times per week max. Best of luck ♥
hello, thank you for your advice! i did a 100% water change and lowered her water untell it was down to around 64-60 and they have gone away but i will keep doing the water changes and keep an eye out on her gills to see if they have come back or not.

AlexisJG

Reaction score
hello, thank you for your advice! i did a 100% water change and lowered her water untell it was down to around 64-60 and they have gone away but i will keep doing the water changes and keep an eye out on her gills to see if they have come back or not.
Aw good! 100% water change in the tank? just be sure to not clean anything because I’m dealing with that mistake now and it’s been a month and my tank is still not completely cycled so I’ve been having to tub my babies with 100% water changes daily. It’s a lot of work lol. I hope it stays gone!! 🥳

Reaction score
@EasternRomioi3

So were you able to clear it up without salt baths? You just kept the tank cool and did massive water changes?

yes!!! surprisingly i only did one almost Full water change and almost immediately it got rid of the fungi she hasn't had it since and i also got her 3 other tank makes well 2 other one was a little nippy so i moved her to a separate tank

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
I did a 90% water change like on Wednesday, and I did a 50% last night. I have some more treated water ready to go, so I should try what you said. I just completed my girl's salt bath regiment and she's feeling better, regrowing her damaged gill stalk.

Reaction score
I did a 90% water change like on Wednesday, and I did a 50% last night. I have some more treated water ready to go, so I should try what you said. I just completed my girl's salt bath regiment and she's feeling better, regrowing her damaged gill stalk.
Omg she has it again..... so I have to do a water change

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!