Glassworms

sean n dad

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Sean n Dad
I was wondering if anyone has used live glass worms for their newts? Any problems?
I used them to feed my Dwarf Cichlids & tetras. The fish love them & it gives them a chance to hunt for prey.

Ed

I was wondering if anyone has used live glass worms for their newts? Any problems?
I used them to feed my Dwarf Cichlids & tetras. The fish love them & it gives them a chance to hunt for prey.

Ed

My newts absolutely love them everytime I can catch some out of my local vernal pool. I have never had a problems due to feeding glassworms. Now admittedly I can't comment on how well they are as a staple diet because I have always offered mine as treats but others will chime in.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then they should be fine. However what I know as glassworms are predatory and not the best for tiny larvae, so only feed to more advanced newts.

Live glassworms seem like they'd be a good caudate food. However, I tried frozen cubes of glassworm (I think they were made by Hikari), and I don't recommend them. They are slimey and tend to disintegrate and make a mess in the tank water.

Where do you get glassworms? I encounter them sporadically and saw one in my former daphnia pool the other day, but I never really find them in any real volume to be of much use for feeding.

Pete,
I have a buddy of mine who collects them. He uses them to feed his hundreds of Killi fish tanks. He likes them because they are a live food, can just add them to tanks and fish can feed when they want. If you know of a local aquarium club you could see if they have any at the club auction.
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back