Question: "Gold" axolotl with dark eyes?

Azariel

Reaction score
Country
Finland
So a few weeks ago I finally got the gold axolotl I ordered. He's gorgeous and quite big but very different than a "gold"!
He's very yellow but doesn't have any shiny spots and his eyes are dark (like leucistic's ones). Anyone know what "color" name would that be?

There are some pics:

Attachments

• P1060930.jpg
    P1060930.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 9,321
  • P1060948B.jpg
    P1060948B.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 13,334
  • P1060929B.JPG
    P1060929B.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 22,261
So a few weeks ago I finally got the gold axolotl I ordered. He's gorgeous and quite big but very different than a "gold"!
He's very yellow but doesn't have any shiny spots and his eyes are dark (like leucistic's ones). Anyone know what "color" name would that be?

There are some pics:

That looks like a leucistic to me.
Sam

It's not, it's yellow not white-pinkish. I'll post a pic when I'll spot him next to the leucistic.

I´d say GFP leucistic.

Me and LeFarge have been looking everywhere to try and find a golden with dark eyes, I think it's a beautiful combo

I don't think GFP axolotls are available in Europe unless it's been smuggled in. I'm going with Leucistic as well. Still an interesting looking axolotl.

Regards Neil

Me and LeFarge have been looking everywhere to try and find a golden with dark eyes, I think it's a beautiful combo

I thought the same when I got him, even though I was expecting a gold!

@ Neil; I ordered a gold from an animal shop in Finland (there are no breeders in Finland) and they had it coming from Sweden. It's pretty much like a leucistic but very very yellow and much more expensive.
I guess I'd have to find a black light to figure out?

He is so pretty! :) I think the yellow with dark eyes is a nice combo as well.

Can't the lighter 'white' axolotls turn yellow with age? (From the riboflavins or something??)
Not that that is what is happening here, just food for thought..

I recently got a juvie that has dark eyes but more of a yellow tinge and some grey spots on him, I'm hopeless with genetics so I've been wondering what you might call him... :rolleyes:

I don't know why the images are rotated O_O

Attachments

• rufus4.JPG
    rufus4.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 6,611
  • rufus5.JPG
    rufus5.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,664
What about a xanthic leucistic?

Dan, your youngster looks like it's probably a copper.

Regards Neil

He might be a GFP leucistic....

That does look really similar to the "glow" my GFP takes on under tank lights.

Local pet store has some teeny GFP leucistics, and they look yellow-y under their tank lighting, too.

Danchristopher: your axo is so cute!! Waiting to see how he looks as an adult! Chirple: it's indeed like that, very yellow, nothing even close to my leucistic's color. I got my work place's electronic money detector, it has a black-violet light so I'll try when I get out of work! Can't wait to know!

So after ultraviolet light check, he isn't glowing green so probably not a GFP axo. Any ideas?

The lack of eye shine suggests this is a melanoid or axanthic leucistic and the gold colour is flavins not pigment. I guess this axolotls colour may fade if not maintained on a high pigment diet.

It is hard to be sure with axolotls so there is a huge element of guesswork in my and other opinions! I had one very yellow baby which lost its colour when it swapped from ostracods to worms.

I can definately see the shiney eye ring on this axolotl so I don't think it's melanoid and I thought axanthic meant lacking yellow pigmentation so I don't think it's that either. As mentioned all of this guessing is speculation but you have one healthy nicely coloured axolotl so it shouldn't matter whatever it really is anyway.

Regards Neil

I can definately see the shiney eye ring on this axolotl so I don't think it's melanoid and I thought axanthic meant lacking yellow pigmentation so I don't think it's that either. As mentioned all of this guessing is speculation but you have one healthy nicely coloured axolotl so it shouldn't matter whatever it really is anyway.

Regards Neil

It indeed as the shinny ring and doesn't glow green, so the guessing game is still going on =P

You're totally right Neil, he is gorgeous and healthy and it doesn't matter whatever he is. But I'm anyway wondering as no one seems to have the same color!

For comparison here is what my "golden leucistic" looked like. It now looks just like any other leucistic. There is a larger similar picture in the gallery.

One issue is if you have paid a higher price for an axolotl on the grounds it is an unusual colour and it turns out to be common in a way you have been defrauded.

Attachments

• golden black eyes.jpg
    golden black eyes.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 953
My "gold" was indeed more than double the price of my leucistic but that's because everything is expensive in Finland and it's very difficult to find axos, especially other color than leucistic.
Kidus is extremely bright yellow, and the color has nothing in common with my leucistic's one. I don't think a leucistic could ever "dye" that way.
Gotta manage to take a pic of them next to each other =)

Finally a pic of all of them together. It clearly shows how different the yellow's and leucistic's colors are!

Attachments

• P1070292D.jpg
    P1070292D.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 46,615
Sometimes an animal doesn't fit into a defined phenotype, but has mutations that we don't fully understand.

He's a pretty axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back