Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Goldfish for my tiger salamander

bcarrier

Reaction score
Dropped 7 2 inch goldfish in his tank, ate one in the first hour then took a nap lol. Anyone else doing this? P.s. He has a wide variety of food i.e. night crawlers, meal worms. Super meal worm night crawlers and ghost shrimp. Any comments?

Niels D

Reaction score
Perhaps some people would consider it to be brutal when you use gold fish as a food item, because they are considered as pets to the public. I don't see the difference however between feeding a gold fish or a worm as long as an animal doesn't need to suffer longer than necessary. Gold fish aren't as good as a food source as worms are, but offering a variety of food is a good thing.

I'm not too fond of meal worms though. Their nutricious value is low and the exoskeleton costs a lot of effort to digest or isn't digested at all which causes a risk for impaction. Gut loaded house crickets (field crickets have a hardier shell) and a wax worm now and then would be a better alternative.

Ominojacu

Reaction score
I feed mine Goldfish all the time. Goldfish are raised on pellets and flakes and rarely if ever have internal parasites. If they do, they are pretty obviously sick. I am not sure if fish parasites could transfer to a salamander but I suppose it is a possibility. I hand feed them to avoid fouling the water as Gold fish put on a lot of ammonia, scales and such when feed in the water. I would add also that you do not want to make Goldfish a staple as they are basically just fat. Greater for trying to fatten a tiger up, but usually that is not a problem.

Lertsch

Reaction score
Goldfish are poop-machines. If you want to use fish as a food source, I think rosy reds or fathead minnows are a better option.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I don't really see whats wrong with using worms, theyre not expensive and can be gathered from a pesticide free place or bought at a bait store, walmart, petstores, etc.

speckles

Reaction score
I use night crawlers, horn worms and sometimes crickets

Sent from my E270BSA using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!