Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Good Filter bacteria?

ZOExotic

Reaction score
I have a tank that’s been set up for 3 weeks it has 2 water dogs and some fish. The filter looks dirty should I clean it? I heard i shouldn’t because It will get rid of the good bacteria

wolfen

Reaction score
the tank should have been cycled before any animals are introduced to the tank, because of the amount of waste produced by amphibians once cycled the majority of tanks (0 - 100 gallon) are ideally given a water change weekly, this water change is normally 20 - 50 percent of the total water, the water has to be dechlorinated before adding to the tank to prevent harm to the filters bacteria.

ZOExotic

Reaction score
They were moved into the tank in a emergency after my other tank exploded the water had been treated before hand. And I have done a 25% water change but the filters have crud on them I was wondering if I should wash off

wolfen

Reaction score
wash the filters in old tank water to limit damaging the bacteria, also useful to add a bit of bottled bacteria just in case.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!