Good plants for a semi-aquatic tank?

H

heather

When i remodel my tank, i want it to be filled with live plants...but i dont have any plants at the moment; ideas anybody??

anarcids, or something like that, the name is kind of like that. They are really good plants and grow quite well under the right conditions.

spider plants!!!! they are excellent. i've got one in my pachytriton tank which has it's roots in the water and one in my triturus tank which has no soil round its roots at all and is just placed in the water, they are with out doubt the best. i've heard a lot about pothos, wandering jew and others, check out jennewt's personal website there are lots of good plant suggestions there. also for a water plant go for hornwort.

Java fern! It can thrive in almost any situation...
I have a Pothos species in my tank right now, which is only a 20 L, so there's not a ton of room for it, but it grows like mad. It has to be trimmed back quite often, or else it pushes aside all of the other plants with its roots or leaves.
My newt really likes his Anubias, too.
Do you guys use any liquid fertilizers for the plants? Could aquarium plant fertilizers harm the newts in any way, as long as one doesn't dump in more than the recommended dose?

Rose> Man, I gotta try this java fern. When you say you have a pothos in your tank, does that mean in the water, or on the land portion? Please explain, I would really like to know.

William> Spider plants eh, so they grow in water, or with roots in water, do they grow really fast??

Thanks

yep, they are not the fastest growers in that situation but they will make a good sized plant in a year or two. i did an experiment with one plantlet in water, one in sand, one in gravel and one in compost, they are all roughly the same size but some produce more plantlets then others.

thanks alot guys, but i gave my newts to a friend who has other salamanders, she can give them a better home, its too cold here, they hibernate!!! and they wont eat or go into the water. shes a really good friend of mine, and i see her alot, i can always check on them.

Good luck heather, at least you got your axie! Gotta love em'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back