Question: Good ways to cool down and maintain tank temp?

Xedar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. New Lotl owner here.
I got my little guy this last Friday on the 1st.
I ordered and am waiting on an aquarium chiller at the moment.
So I was wondering what may be a good way to get his temperature down to where I want it to be while I wait on the chiller?
I've been keeping the shades closed and blowing cool air on the tank with a fan yet it doesn't seem to be helping all that much. It's a tad too high today at around 22 C.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

suitable4frank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use ice cubes if it's just an oddly hot day. Like I put dechlorinated water in the freezer and plop them in there. It's not something you should do if your tank is naturally sitting like that though.
Is it a good quality fan? Because fans are always the way to go, but not if they only cost you £10 or whatever.
If you can't do anything to keep it down I would move him temporarily to a cooler place. Like a basement or the coldest room in the house.

allied123

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use frozen water bottles...again it should probably be dechlorinated water in case it leeks into the tank, I have also used giant 2 liter bottles but don't recommend this as it cools several degrees very quickly and then the water just heats back up (large fluctuations are never good!), smaller bottles seem to be a little more consistent.

BabySinclair

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Studiov13
If you can get some of the house insulating styrofoam sheets from lowes or homedepot. I use the 1" and 3/4" thick foam sheet. They come in 4x8 sheets, about 20.00 a sheet.
Anyways, I wrap the outside of the tank, the bottom, sides and the back. On really hot days, I will enclose the front as well. But if you use the foam, use a fan at the same time. Between the two, I can drop my tank about 12 degrees, and even lower with ice bottles. I also picked up plastic ice cubes that are filled with water, from the local dollar tree.
I've tried the water bottle method with and without the styrofoam, and it works far better with the styrofoam and seems to offer less tempature fluctuations.

melgado22

Reaction score
Country
United States
ARCTIC Breeze Mobile USB-Powered 92mm Portable Fan, Portable Cooling Solution, Quiet Fan

(^^^type that into amazon)

that is what i use, i have it taped at one end of my tank using the sticky velcro tape. works like a charm! not to mention its quiet and durable, it has fallen completely into my tank before i thought of using velcro tape and when i pulled it out, it immediately started propelling again like nothing happened.

oh and i don't keep a lid on my aquarium, seems to help with the evaporation which keeps the tank cool. that is all i do. my tank sits right near a window that receives a lot of hot afternoon sun but my tank never gets over 20 C

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Country
United States
If that thing really works, that's fantastic for the price. What do you plug it into though, since it's USB? I wouldn't want to keep it plugged into a computer or tablet or anything. Do you use a USB to wall outlet adapter?

melgado22

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes it really works! i love mine. i ended up gluing my fans to the velcro, shortly after i moved they wouldn't stay on the tape.. Not sure if this had to do with the humidity change. i found a power strip that has a usb adapter so i plug it into that, all my other tank plugs can go into it too. perfecto!

AussieLux

Reaction score
Country
Australia
ARCTIC Breeze Mobile USB-Powered 92mm Portable Fan, Portable Cooling Solution, Quiet Fan
Just brought one after seeing a guy do this for his aquarium on youtube too. Seems they are as silent then as the advertising claims hehe.

I hope it keeps my tank cool enough in spring as it gets warm in my room enough in spring alone (24-25 degrees Celsius).

I do worry about summer and in Australia it can get really hot here. 37s -40 are quite normal in recent years. Might have to just keep him in the fridge if it gets too hot, regardless of how much he hates the small fridge tubs.

My brother said he has experience with peliter coolers as they use them a lot for cooling- in Radio Controlled stuff of all things, and that would be something to look at, but I haven't a clue about those and really need to do some research soon as to what other people with aquariums finds work in Aussie summers before it starts to warm up.

allied123

Reaction score
Country
United States
The peltier chiller (or ice probe) methods aren't really suitable for any tank over 10 gallons and since axies need a minimum of 20 gallons they really aren't a good investment. They are really misleading though on amazon and what not, I was looking into one before people informed me they only worked well for small tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    Hi Nerdybirds - open a thread, that usually gets more views and also allows you to post pictures and give more background information: water parameters, age, etc.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    My axolotl can you all take a look at that thread, I am freaked out about my axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    His gills seem kinda small, I don't think that's normal but I'm not a huge expert on axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Yeah his gills is kinda small and it can be caused by nitrate level, I am taking care of it atm, I am worried about his weight, is he only overfed or are there any kinds of problems there ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Well, again, I'm no expert. But I did just read axolotls are supposed to have a body about as wide as their head. The gills I'd say are the biggest problem, which could reduce oxygen intake, which could make a whole mess of problems.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Thanks for the help then, I will deal with his gills in no time
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    Any one have advice on feeding a tubbed axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    mine hasent eaten in weeks and im not sure what to do
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hello, I am a new owner of a 3 month old axolotl, and although I have done a lot of research on axolotls, I can barely find any for babies. If anyone can help me with these questions, I would be super happy. How many hours do baby axolotls tend to sleep per day? How many times should I feed it and what would be considered too much (it's current diet is freeze-dried brine shrimp and blood worms, and I currently feed it around 3 bloodworms since they are not that big)? How many times a week should I change the water and how? I have a good filter and use Prime as my conditioner to remove the chlorine and other chemicals, but I still need to figure out how to deal with ammonia and such in the water. How do I clean it's waste (should I use a dropper to easily pick it up)? I need a better cooling system because currently I use ice packs on the side of the tank and I make sure to angle my ac so that it hits the tank.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    I also leave the lid open during the day so that evaporation can cool down my tank. I want to buy a fan, but since winter is coming I won't have to buy one yet. Lastly, what water testers are effective and affordable for a broke student like myself? Please, if anyone has any advice I will love to hear it. I care for this creature too much at this point, but I have no one to help me with caring for it other than the internet :,)
    +1
    Unlike
  • EmilyP:
    Hi LauraLobster I am a new owner of axolotls myself and have been getting advice from things like this, I feed mine twice a day on blackworms and brine shrimp blood worms are more of a treat food, a question on where you are keeping you axolotl are you keeping it in the main tank or in a tub also if in the tank did you cycle it first? and if not i suggest tubing it until the tank it cycled, mine are still tubed since I was given bad advice by the shop people about cycling my tank and am still in the process of cycling it. I use pipettes to clean up the mess of my axolotls. I use the API mater test kit for freshwater tanks I am also a student and had to look around to find it the cheapest I could.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi LauraLobster, like you I got my first ever Axolotl back in July. Iv found that he has enjoyed and eaten red wigglers well. They are a good source of protein and help provide the nutrients a young lotl needs to grow up big and strong. You will probably need to break it up into smaller pieces until they get bigger but they are what I have primarily fed my buddy since I got him. He’s actually so picky that he won’t even eat his pellets anymore and will hold out till he gets his favorite wormy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat nea
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat newt inflamtion I've got one and recently it's started to develop an inflammation on its throat can someone please tell me how you treat this I've also checked if he had something stuck but I didn't se anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • Cjbond:
    Anyone have any Notophthalmus viridescens for purchase to a loving home?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Grantsky:
    Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this as I am new to the site, b
    +1
    Unlike
  • ltoloxa-:
    Hey, can anyone recommend a good fan/cooler in UK?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nycolebayne:
    I’ve got proven female axolotls available if anyone is interested.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if shale is ok for long-toed salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My pleasure! River rocks work well too, and go rather well with all kinda lung less salamanders,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
    Mark.H: Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :) +1