Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gravel/sand for babies

M

miriam

I have a baby axolotl in a glass bowl. I know that the glass is slippery,and as he's starting to use his new arms (and is growing legs), it's probably frustrating for him.

The problem is that he's so small that I think if I put sand on the floor, he'd eat mainly end up eating sand rather than the frozen brine shrimp I've been feeding. I think the brine shrimp would probably get lost among rocks or gravel, and he seems too small for any floating foods or getting hand-fed (food he can eat is simply to small for me to hold while leaving him space to grab onto it).

Any ideas for what I can do? I put a few big-ish flatish rocks on the bottom, but he hides near them instead of walking on them.

C

cynthia

Miriam - small larvae are easier to maintain with out sand, rocks or gravel. They do ok without it.

To help it feel safe you might want to add a floating sprig or two of hornwort plant, or something similar so it has a little cover.

M

miriam

When do they usually start needing gravel or sand? I feel bad when I see him trying to walk around on the bottom of the tank.

C

cynthia

Some people never keep them on substrate, they are always kept on bare floors. So I can't really say "they need substrate".

I know I feel more comfortable watching mine when they "appear happy". When mine were in their own individual containers substrate was out of the question because they needed the water changed everyday.

When they were large enough to put in the aquarium together then they got substrate. They were about 5 to 6 inches long.

S

steve

Hi miriam,
I think that with most if not all baby amphibians that it is best to keep them in a basic enclosure, with a baby axie i would use nothing more than a piece of plant pot and a small plant to make it feel safe and secure. As cynthia has said, there is no need for substrate at all and not even bother with filtration until the animal is more grown on just remember to do frequent water changes. i know this does not look very attractive but its easier for you while the axie is going through its different stages

M

miriam

I'm not concerned about it being attractive--it's just that the bowl I have is smooth glass and I watch my axie try to walk around and he ends up sliding more than walking, so I thought that might be stressful for him.

cody

Reaction score
I found they grip pretty well to hard plastic line a small tank with perspecs i cut a chunk out of a plastic chopping board

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Asholotl:
    its just wet in oregon and cold most of the time.
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    So good axolotl weather :p
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asholotl:
    yeah, most of the time lol. its always cold in my room now cause of them.
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    Yea my room is freezing because of the axolotls xd
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    The worst thing is my cat always jumps up next to the tank but good thing it has a lid 😁
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asholotl:
    same D: my cat is constantly knocking over my bottles and stuff for my axolotls.
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    One time he almost knocked over a whole bottle of tap water conditioner we just bought
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asholotl:
    haha. sounds like a cat
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    I know right what is it with cats constantly knocking every thing over??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asholotl:
    And boxes. you can even tape a square on the floor and ive seen them go in it xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    Haha 😂
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asholotl:
    im going to head off now, its 12 am now so i got to rest. :D nice talking with ya!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    hey everyone - sorry for the inactivity. things have been really rough in my world the past few days, but i’m safe now. i should be back to my normal active self here soon :)
    +2
    Unlike
  • axolotlnewtlover:
    the nitrites in my tank are so high omg
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    Hello, I think my axie might have anchor worms, could someone please look at my thread its called 'rapidly growing strange things all over my axolotls' thanks- The-Axolotl
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @The-Axolotl, reading through your thread now, sorry i didn’t get a chance to welcome you yet!
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    Thanks for reading my thread, everyone has been so helpful 😀😁
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    Can anyone answer if I can use trichlorfon 20mg with my axolotls to treat the anchor worms it is supposed to kill them. I have purchased something from the shop called blue planet paracide which has 20mg of the trichlorfon
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    sorry in advance for anyone who reads my latest post, it’s very long and was written late at night, ergo it isn’t wonderfully organized
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    @axolotl nerd That's so cool that your looking into being a axolotl breeder/ having a axolotl sanctuary
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @The-Axolotl, im a hug energy when it comes to axolotls, and decided i might as well “shoot my shot” and try to make a living out of it. lots of inspiration taken from margie, who used to breed and sell here on caudata- she was raising about 1000 juveniles at a time, which is my end goal
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    huge nerd**
    +1
    Unlike
  • The-Axolotl:
    Nice, if/when you start breeding axolotls make sure to post pics of the cute baby axies here on caudata
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i plan on it!
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl nerd: i plan on it! +1