Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gray colored fire bellies

K

kwame

I saw some gray colored newts for sale in the local pet store. They were labeled japanese newts. Of course i know they never label newts correctly in pet stores so i purchased two of them. They have the belly markings and size of chinese firebellies but they are gray and one has somewhat warty skin. Anybody know if fire bellies come in gray or is it a stage they go through?

N

nate

It appears to be a stage that some C. orientalis go through. I have one male that turns gray about twice a year. I've also seen several more in stores and heard about others that turn gray from other hobbyists. I have yet to hear any details on why it happens, but they don't appear to be negatively affected by it.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As my male C. pyrrhogaster are coming into breeding condition, they are really changing colors. It started with the tail becoming gray with darker spots, and white spots developing in the region behind the mouth. Now two of them are developing pronounced gray areas all over their bodies too. The females don't have any of these color changes.

F

funboy

hi!
well, i'm new here...
about the grey color on a fbn, i know the males, went they are in breeding time, get a blue-grey color on their tail because of the sperm...
tell me if i'm wrong
bye!

N

nate

You're right, jfbs' tails can become greyish, whitish, bluish, purplish, etc. during breeding season depending on race and the color vision of the observer ;). But what were talking about was really the phenomenon where cfbs become completely grey, all over.

R

richard

My newts are Cynops orientalis (I strongly believe)and resemble the newt of that name in Frank Indiviglio's book. I have noticed that my oldest female has reddish spots behind the neck on each side and some of her offspring have the same. (I have bred for the last 3 years) Some newts of the same parents have slightly less black/grey colouration with slightly brownish colouration. of course somesitimes your newt will be shedding but this colour change is only very temporary. By the way my newts seem to vocalise-by using air bubbles-definitely not simply by clicking gravel as I have heard them away from the substrate. Other fire bellies in New Zealand petshops I have seen seem to share the same size/shape and general skin textures of mine but have also dorsal red on the tail and a bisecting black line on the underbelly-mine are marbled with a brighter orange red on their bellies-Is this simply genetic variation or a species/subspecies division?

N

nate

Hi Richard, I've always assumed NZ was like Aus. in its banning of caudates in the pet trade except axolotls. Glad to see that's not so.

Red spots and streaks on the body are not uncommon in orientalis. I have individuals with red spots above the hips, on the head, and on the upper forelegs. It would appear that the variation you're seeing is just natural variation among orientalis at this point. I don't think anyone has done any studies yet to see if the variation among the newts currently recognized as C. orientalis are due to subspecies or new species. It certainly could prove to be so in the future.

As for the vocalization...newts do not vocalize intentionally. That is, there is no reproductive or social use for it. I've never heard of such a thing, and I think you may just be hearing them when they gulp/expell air.

R

richard

Yes NZ does have quite a few restrictions-Herpwise pet shops sell axolotls, fire bellies and the introduced Australian frogs Littoria ewingi and more commonly Littoria raniformis and L.aurea (the species that delayed construction of the Sydney olympic stadium!)All trade is banned in NZ native reptiles and amphibians as many are critically endangered-chrytid fungus,round-up poison and high UV/global warming are taking their toll.I am in two minds-I think a licensing system like that required for NZ captive lizards may be appropriate for the introduced species as well- to stop possible releases due to lower prices and possibly youngsters unaware of the implications of keeping these animals. Because captive breeding of the natives will soon be essential to ensure their survival this needs to be encouraged by allowing responsible adults to keep a small number of registered exotics so they have a few years experience before keeping natives. Rep-wise blue tongued skinks are occasionally sold for NZ$ 500, as well as snake necks and red ears $90-200 and very ocassionally Testudo graeca $500 as well!
Our axolotls are common in petshops but only seem to have pie, olive and albino morphs-I've yet to see a gold/yellow variety. The ozzie native banjo frog is a real threat that is being fought by our Dept of Conservation--and we completely ban snakes of course-a few get through to the wharves.

S

seamus

To Richard H, I live in christchurch (nz) and want to get hold of some fbn's but i am having difficuties finding a pet store that will sell them. You said you have been breeding them for a few years would you consider selling some other wise do you know anywhere i can get them?
Leave a message here or email me thanks.
mrseamus@mr-potatohead.com

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!