Gray tree frog ... what kind of frog would get along with it?

M

michelle

I found a gray tree frog in my house and I want to get another frog to go with it. I heard it's really hard to find and buy gray tree frogs so i want to find something else that will go with it. I also want a different kind because I just like different types of frogs. It is the first one I have every had, so it would be cool if you could help me out on enclosure ideas also. It is in a 10 gallon tank, do you have any ideas of how to make it look really cool, make the frog happy, and keep it cheap?

I have been looking around on this site and a lot of people seem to have white tree frogs. Do they get really big or do you think they will be fine in a 10 gallon tank with a gray tree frog? Gray tree frogs stay under 2 inches I think. If you have any other suggestions they are appreciated!!

what i do for all my tree frogs is turn there cage on the short end to give it more verticle space. who ever told you that catchin grays is hard is lyeing i catch 10 in one night in the summer. also i would reccomend a green treefrog, red eyed tree frog, clown treefrog,big eyed treefrog(my personel favorite) or possibly a whites tree frog. if you have any more questions please private message me i would be more than happy to aswer all of them. :p

It isn't a good idea to mix species; other varieties of frog require different levels of care. Introducing two species together usually proves disastrous. Frogs may become cannibalistic and eat others of the same species. Housing different species together can also result in disease because of parasites, etc... One frog may need high temperatures and humity, while another would require less. Stress plays a big factor with having two species together, too. I know it seems like a neat idea, who wouldn't want to have a little "froggy utopia" with different kinds all living in a community together. Bottom line is, not a good idea. I am sure some of the more experienced enthusiasts on the site can post the link to the "mixing disasters" page.
Another thing is, you want to make sure you know the exact species of the frog you have now. Grey tree frog could be anything, really, because a lot of tree frogs change colour to dull grey hues. Make sure you have an appropriate set up for the frog. If you could post a photo, I am sure people from the site could help you out.
Good luck!

Also, posting on 16 month old threads is usually not beneficial to the original thread.

Please check the date of threads before responding.

Kara: "Grey Tree Frog" is the common name for the Hyla crysosolis/versicolor complex.

I didn't check the date because it was listed on the forum page when I first opened caudata.org...wierd.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back