Green Tree Frog ID Help Please

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Hi all, ok am just about to get some frogs to add to my ever growing amphibian collection and was hoping to get some Dendrobates azureus but have just been offered some rescue green tree frogs.

Now after researching these am I right in thinking the pictures I have been sent from a local reptile rescue centre are of an american tree frog / Hyla cinerea??

Any help would be much appreciated as I want to get the right species and if they are these I am thinking from what I have heard of their calls they are pretty loud and I already have a pretty fed up hubby with all my tanks and thinking these may well tip him over the edge as they will be in our lounge and our house is open plan lol

THANKS!

Attachments

Mredh123

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are totally correct in the species name. I have a few in the kitchen that croak like little puppy dogs. They "aruff aruff aruff" a few times a day during warm to cool temperture changes. If your good with mimicing, you can get them to croak on command.
I have Whites Tree, Green Tree, and Pacman all in the same area. Music to my ears when they are all SOUNDING out. (specially since none sound anything alike)
Enjoy!!:frog:
Pic 1 ---Who blinks first contest-
Pic 2 ---Strike a Pose--
Pic 3 --- Yummy Goldfish---

Attachments

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
You are totally correct in the species name. I have a few in the kitchen that croak like little puppy dogs. They "aruff aruff aruff" a few times a day during warm to cool temperture changes. If your good with mimicing, you can get them to croak on command.
I have Whites Tree, Green Tree, and Pacman all in the same area. Music to my ears when they are all SOUNDING out. (specially since none sound anything alike)
Enjoy!!:frog:
Pic 1 ---Who blinks first contest-
Pic 2 ---Strike a Pose--
Pic 3 --- Yummy Goldfish---
Yeh :) Thanks for your help!!! So they dont croak all the time then as what I heard on some videos was kinda load and figured hubby may kill me if they did that all night as guessing we would hear them upstairs as we sleep with the door open so we can hear the kids :D

Great looking frogs :) IS the really green one to the left a american tree frog then and presume the big one next to it is something else lol :)

This rescue place has 6 of varying sizes, oh what do to.... :lol:

Mredh123

Reaction score
Country
United States
The one on the right is a blue phase (semi) Whites Tree Frog. He made it on the News Last Christmas.
My wife and I get the giggles every time the frogs GO A CALLIN. The Pacman has a screaming tone to it. (very weird when first hearing)
Few more pics
Pic 1 Ho Ho Ho Frog
Pic 2 Leaf Frog
Pic 3 1st turtle to hatch.

Just so you know, if you did not read it already.
They change from Green to Brown when their mood changes. (American T's)

Attachments

Last edited:

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
LOL loving your piccies :)

So the news heh....what happened?

Have you just got the 1 Green Tree frog then??

Going to have to do more research on them I think as filter noise bugs my hubby so frogs are going to be a riot the other ones I have been looking at (blue poison dart frogs) are still my top choice but also got to set a viv up from scratch so going to be costly and these green guys are free as need rescuing and I am a sucker for a rescue :rofl:

Mredh123

Reaction score
Country
United States
As for the Blue Dart Frogs--- You will need to keep humidity high and if you don't know the sex of them, the females tend to fight for territory. They will need to eat small foods like fruit flies, pin head crickets ect....
As for the American Green Tree Frogs, you can start with live food such as crickets, wax worms, meal worms, red worms, moths. ====BIG BUT HERE======
But, you can train to eat non-living items such as turtle pellets, (new product out) pacman food. (www.pacmanfood.com) <~~ will get you some nice videos and pics. I feed my Whites tree frogs and Pacman frogs this food. I have 2 American Green Tree frogs and one is starting to understand the concept of "FOOD is FOOD". He will take the pacman food every now and then. (I use tweezers to target feed)

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Glad I bumped into you :happy: thanks for this!!! axies and newts are my thing, frogs are a whole new world :D

Any piccies you have and vids would be great, they look huge in some piccies I have seen but on reading up they say 2.5 inches go get :)

Thanks also for advise on food, think its the colouring I love about the darts they really are striking and would like something to stand out but also know these guys keep changing greens/browns etc and as they are free can afford all 6 if I want just got to get the viv sorted (ouch)!

Any help / advice you have for me is much appreciated if you have the time (sure with your load probably not).

Thanks so much again, Zoe

Mredh123

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would personally put an add in one of the local Classifieds in your area. Little explanation as to what you want. There are many critter people that just enjoy helping one another. You might just get everything FREE.
I would use the Blue Dart Frogs as a stepping stone for the more exotic. They do best with a fogger and those can be a little pricey.
Plus, the American Greens will get to know you and the kids, so you can pick them up.
I take my Whites Tree Frogs into my wifes (elementary school) classrooms and perform a little show. I can get the frogs to Croak on command while perched on my finger (by croaking myself), then give them a cricket for a treat. The kids have only heard frogs croak so to see them is a great sight. I am an older student and have shared my critters at the Community College I attend. They are also stunned by their croaking ability.
The funny thing is the looks I get before the frogs start to croak. Just me croaking---- Ha Ha
Hope this has helped with an important decision you and the family need to face...
My real interest is the Seahorses I have.... When your going Saltwater, let me know. :D

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
LOL am so confused now going to have to do more research and maybe visit these green frogs tomorrow to see them up close and personal :D

Like the idea of handling them as my kids love their pets :happy:

seahorses ok now I am VERY jealous!!!! now what about leafy sea dragons - love them or hate them I think they are stunning!???

Thanks again for all your time and help!

Mredh123

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe go Saltwater and get a Frogfish.
Few more random pics
Pic 1 of Seahorses eating at their food clam
Pic 2 Veiled Chameleon baby
Pic 3 Red Painted Frogfish (AKA Angler)

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lanalotl:
    Hi I recently rescued a lotl (i did weeks of research before rescuing) Hes mabey 5 or 6 years of age..the previous owner could not remember the exact age of him. I got him from her as he was or had been picked on by his tank mate another lotl who was bough with him from every younger age, I noticed one of his gills, a middle one at the end had split in two? And is slightly more floppy? He also appears or mabey I'm just over worried to mabey have lost some feathers, is that normal to lose some?...all levels in the tank are fine, but wondered if theres and advice anyone could give me as an experienced owner to a new one.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axolotl Queen:
    @Lanalotl Sounds like the gills may have been nipped by the tank mate. If he is in his own tank and the parameters etc are all good, then he should grow them back and they should go back to full health and strength. However, depending on how old the injury is they may not fully grow back if they have been constantly nipped at.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Smknmom421:
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening? We just did a water change and after freaking out and whipping around the tank, an hour later they look like this. It won't let me send a pic. The edges of their gills are white and it looks like they have skin shedding off
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That sounds like severe skin damage. If you post a thread on the forum, you can attach pictures.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    It sounds like something went wrong with the water change, so this could be very dangerous. Did you use a dechlorinator? Could it be there are traces of chlorine or soap in the water? (Or for example, in the bucket you used?)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Normally, I would recommend taking them out of the tank asap and putting them in a tub with fresh water, but if there's something wrong with your tap water or dechlorinator, that might not help either. Do you have acces to bottled water or rain water?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    I think my axie is dying, he’s never had any issues before, I’ve had him 3 years, today I noticed some fluffy looking stuff coming from his genital area so I took him out of his tank and did a full tank clean to make sure the water wasn’t infected as I thought it was fungus and then I noticed he had a cut on his belly which was only small about 5 hours ago and now it’s spread to all of his belly, what do I do I’m freaking out
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Thank you so much for the information and advice! They are eating again, they ate a lot today. I think it might have been stress from the move or digesting old food, I also noticed they ate some of the food left in the tank (I removed the rest). I’m going to keep the tank bare bottom.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu,your so welcome im glad to be of help! and I'm glad that they are eating as well!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AidanD has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: AidanD has left the room. +1