Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Grey Tree Frog growth rate

TheMagnusEffect

Reaction score
I have three Grey Tree Frogs that morphed from tadpoles in August 07. Right now the biggest one is just over one inch long. I was wondering if anyone could indicate if they should be bigger by now or if this is a normal growth rate for them?
thanks

ecoreptiles

Reaction score
You're talking about Hyla versicolor?
I used to work with them a long time ago, and that seems about right to me. They don't really get bigger than 2" when mature, at least in Ontario.
If they were underfed as tadpoles/froglets, they will just be slightly smaller adults.

birdvideo

Reaction score
I agree. I've raised them from eggs too and it sounds like you're doing good. They don't get bigger than 2" in Texas either. Mine weren't full grown until their second year. What are they eating?

TheMagnusEffect

Reaction score
Okay for some reason I thought I saw one that was like 4" in the wild.
Right now I'm just feeding them crickets. Are there other foods that would be better?

birdvideo

Reaction score
Are you sure you have Gray Treefrogs (Hyla versicolor) and not Cope’s (H. chrysoscelis)? Some say they can tell them apart by sight, but I can’t. You really need to do a blood smear and count chromosomes or hear the males calling. I only mention it because I remember reading a paper about differential growth rates among tadpoles of the two species in the same pond. It might help to have some harder data than my anecdotal account. If you are near a university library search Zoological Record.

birdvideo

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn’t answer your question. Crickets are good. Gut load them as usual. Variety is best. I always tried to have fruit flies in the terrarium, too. Both my Gray and Green Treefrog’s favorite food was wild caught “house” flies. In warmer months I would run fly traps. Some people disdain feeding them because, obviously, you introduce bacteria. The flies are feeding on dead bodies and animal feces. I never had a problem and they loved them. I also fed meal worms but they had to be “trained” to eat them. Thread a sewing needle with black thread. Don’t tie a knot. Thread the needle through the end of the meal worm and pull the thread through to ¼” from the end. Stick the needle to a magnet on a dowel and use this fishing pole to offer the food. Once they take it give a quick jerk to retrieve the thread. Once they are taking them just offer them in a bowl. I gave some eggs to a friend to raise. His ate them from a bowl right away, but I always had to use the trick- even with captive born ones. Hope this helps.

newtamander

Reaction score
My love small crickets, fruit flys, and house flies. There favorite is fruit flies:D. I have 5 that I raised tapoles but there growing very fast and was wondering what gallon size is sufficient for 5?:confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1