Grow Light in Axolotl Tank

oliviavandev

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a 20 gallon long tank that I want to start swapping my fake plants with real. I've got some Java Moss in there, but I don't think I have enough light, as I have north facing windows. I do not have a hard time maintaining the cool temperature of my tank. My axie has plenty of places to be out of the light. What would be a grow light that I could put on top of my tank that wouldn't bother my Axie too much, but would still help my plants thrive. I am planning on getting more plants too, FYI.

Hi,
Usual aquarium lights are not a problem for axolotls.
Most of these lights are far weaker than day light, and even outdoors shadow.
Setting up a well planted lightened tank is a good idea because it will improve water quality.

Get at least one fast-growing plant species (Egeria, hornwort).
Floating species like Pistia, Salvinia will create shadowy zones in the tank.

axolotls are mostly nocturnal so don't like light, this doesn't mean that lights can't be used just that hides/caves should be provided.
be aware that if holtfreters or any of the other solutions have to be used at any time that the majority of plants don't cope very well with the mild salinity or the water hardness, also addition co2 shouldn't be used or plant fertilisers as they can be unsuitable for axolotls.

Java moss, java fern, and Anubias are great low light plants that do well in cool water. Any of those are fine with little light. Their are lots of broad spectrum adjustable led aquarium lights available. I usually wind up buying a beamswork light on ebay if I use an aquarium light at all.

Hi,
Usual aquarium lights are not a problem for axolotls.
Most of these lights are far weaker than day light, and even outdoors shadow.
Setting up a well planted lightened tank is a good idea because it will improve water quality.

Get at least one fast-growing plant species (Egeria, hornwort).
Floating species like Pistia, Salvinia will create shadowy zones in the tank.
Thanks for the help!

Java moss, java fern, and Anubias are great low light plants that do well in cool water. Any of those are fine with little light. Their are lots of broad spectrum adjustable led aquarium lights available. I usually wind up buying a beamswork light on ebay if I use an aquarium light at all.
Will this light be enough for the plants to grow?

I know this is an older thread, but I feel like success stories should be shared to help any new comers.

I have a half planted/half fake plant set up with sand substrate, with a slight salinity (aquarium salt ~2g/L). Some natural sunlight reaches the tank through a distant window, with the shades always closed. Java fern has been the only plant to survive in the conditions, but it has survived and grown with zero issues. I have about 4 plants lining the back wall of the tank, and 3 shorter plants up front. Freckles uses them for shade on occasion and they do help keep water parameters consistent.

Attachments

• 7D0B8FEB-3963-4957-98B9-5191CDE74F03.jpeg
    7D0B8FEB-3963-4957-98B9-5191CDE74F03.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 264
  • 47F3CF84-4FE0-4F1F-B262-DB750BE34B58.jpeg
    47F3CF84-4FE0-4F1F-B262-DB750BE34B58.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 123
  • 12169F1C-7378-4CA3-B13D-189FD2EF3865.jpeg
    12169F1C-7378-4CA3-B13D-189FD2EF3865.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
I know this is an older thread, but I feel like success stories should be shared to help any new comers.

I have a half planted/half fake plant set up with sand substrate, with a slight salinity (aquarium salt ~2g/L). Some natural sunlight reaches the tank through a distant window, with the shades always closed. Java fern has been the only plant to survive in the conditions, but it has survived and grown with zero issues. I have about 4 plants lining the back wall of the tank, and 3 shorter plants up front. Freckles uses them for shade on occasion and they do help keep water parameters consistent.
i highly recommend elodea//anachris in axolotl tanks. i got three bundles about 8 months ago, and my tank has exploded in growth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back