Growing moss onto driftwood

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
Would it be safe for me to use one of the "paint on" moss recipes to put in my tank? I would be usin the buttermilk or plain yogurt recipe. I'm wondering if after 6 weeks or so of the moss growing if it would be ok the wash it, and put it in a newt aquarium?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
That should be fine.

How about a photo tutorial while you're at it? It would be a nice asset to the forum.

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
Sure, I could take pictures as I go and post them if it works out :D I'll be sure to do that :D

caleb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Caleb Leeke
When you say 'aquarium', do you mean that the moss would be growing underwater? I'm not sure if the yoghurt method would work like this.

My lazy method of growing terrestrial moss is just to wedge a bit in a crack or between some rocks, and leave it. This usually works quite well, but it takes a very very long time to get a decent amount of growth.

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cassie
My favorite recipe for planting moss is using the buttermilk as well as a bit of fish emulsion (sold at greenhouse stores). Fish emulsion is potent stuff, so use only maybe a few pea-sized globs. Stinky, but the moss loves it! It would even be a good idea to 'paint' some of the fish emulsion onto the wood where the moss mix will be put down. Driftwood may not have a lot of nutrition for the moss to use, so giving it a boost will help. They say you can use some sort of school glue to glue it on the wood, but when it comes to using it with animals, I don't like it. If you're worried about it coming off while it's settling in, I've used rice paper (craft stores sell it) and wrapped it around the moss and wood, then use something like twine to tie it down loosely. Misting the paper with water will wet it down, and light should be able to pass through the wet paper enough to help it grow. This takes a little more work, so you can skip it if you prefer.

When the moss is established, giving it a misting of some well-diluted fish emulsion will keep it going.

Note, when you use the fish emulsion mist, you will want to do this OUTSIDE the tank and let the mist seep in and work a bit. Then give it a gentle rinsing to get out any extra residue. Otherwise it may make the tank water a little smelly. Or, you can skip the misting altogether to be safe. Just a personal preference.

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
Darn, I wish you posted last night XD I started it then. I'll try misting it with the fish emulsion though. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ax0lot:
    Hey does anyone know why my axolotls mouth is stuck open? Been like that for a few weeks and when I tested water everything was fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i highly recommend “buyanaxolotl.com”- ive purchased from them and received a beautiful animal for relatively cheap, in great condition, and excellent shipping precautions. the breeders are a couple living in georgia (i believe, don’t quite remember) and they’re fantastic. sometimes their website contact page doesn’t work, so i’d probably try just emailing them. good luck and happy hunting!
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    do those aquarium fans work well for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sheryl Fraser:
    My little guy got stuck in the filter yesterday. His back leg is red. Will this heal
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Z-One has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Any recommendations on a water chiller for a 10gallon but will work for a 20gal when I decide to upgrade?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinc Tank:
    Anybody working with and breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra?
    +2
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    heh
    +1
    Unlike
    blubford: heh +1