Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hand Feeding axolotls

JordynG45

Reaction score
Hello,
I just ordered an axolotl from a breeder and it should be here soon. I'm very excited! I have one question, I really want to hand feed my axolotl but I am not sure how to do that. I am planning on feeding them blood worms, Can anyone explain to me how to hand feed them?

Thank you for all your help!

-Jordyn

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Hand feeding is usually done with pieces or whole earthworms, and maybe larger pellets, rather than frozen bloodworms. That being said, frozen bloodworms are nutritionally incomplete and are not adequate as a staple for most axolotls larger than around 4".

TatoTesla

Reaction score
Blood worms are usually only fed to babies (along with pellets) and occasionally as a treat for adults. A tip for feeding your axolotl (if it's a baby) is to use a small tray of some sort (I use a terra cotta tray) to avoid it eating some of the substrate.. It also helps concentrate the food so it's easier to find and remove leftovers.

Hand feeding is really only practical when feeding earthworms as adults. In this case, you can chop them into smaller pieces (makes swallowing much more manageable) and hand feed them to your axie. I hope that helps!

JordynG45

Reaction score
Blood worms are usually only fed to babies (along with pellets) and occasionally as a treat for adults. A tip for feeding your axolotl (if it's a baby) is to use a small tray of some sort (I use a terra cotta tray) to avoid it eating some of the substrate.. It also helps concentrate the food so it's easier to find and remove leftovers.

Hand feeding is really only practical when feeding earthworms as adults. In this case, you can chop them into smaller pieces (makes swallowing much more manageable) and hand feed them to your axie. I hope that helps!

This makes so much sense, do you know where I can find clean earthworms? I know that you can't use the ones out in the garden due to parasites and such. Do pet stores carry them?

TatoTesla

Reaction score
I know that stores like Petco and Petsmart usually carry them! Walmart also does (in most locations I think) in the fishing section. If you're really having a hard time finding them, you can try bait shops (though bait shops don't have the cleanest worms). You can also order them online and/or culture them yourself.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!