Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Handheld AC Unit for cooling

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello! So we have an Aquaclear filter for our 20L, and don’t want to buy a chiller since that would mean buying a canister filter as well, which we don’t have space for in my bedroom. Would a handheld ac unit, like this one, work? We would need to drop it about 10 degrees, since we would turn the fan off, and stop using the ice bottles.
Amazon.com: Portable Air Conditioner Fan, Mini Evaporative Cooler Personal Air Cooler with 7 Colors Light Changing, 3 Fan Speed, Super Quiet Humidifier Misting Fan for Home Office Bedroom, Wearable AC: Appliances

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
HI

I have one of these fans and no I dont think it would work for a tank at all. is basically using humid air to cool you.

Chiller fans and ice bottles is more effective

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
HI

I have one of these fans and no I dont think it would work for a tank at all. is basically using humid air to cool you.

Chiller fans and ice bottles is more effective
Okay, do you think ones you put ice in to make the air colder would make a difference? I’m assuming not but figured I’d ask😂

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Okay thanks! Do you have any other tips? My family goes on vacation a lot during the summer, and the vet who watches our pets probably won’t want to come over every hour to replace the water water bottle.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
desk fans angled at 30 degrees across the length of the tank at least 2 that will make a huge difference on its own and the bottles even twice a day. will help.

Otherwise invest in a small air conditioner for your room and keep the door closed

Okay thanks! Do you have any other tips? My family goes on vacation a lot during the summer, and the vet who watches our pets probably won’t want to come over every hour to replace the water water bottle.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Alright thanks so much! She’s tubbed right now after getting slight ammonia burn, which was from the test kit being back ordered due to you know what. But she’s almost at the end of her treatment, so I wanted to start preparing for her to be back in the tank.

lanold

Reaction score
I think it's not reasonable and efficient to replace the water periodically. I mean, I would better buy a small air conditioner, and set it at a comfortable temperature. In this way, you'll not worry about it anymore and it will be much safer for your pets. Also, you may ask a professional that provides good A/C repair services . Since they are into this theme, they surely know an inventive solution to your problem, because they have seen a lot during their professional life. I hope you'll find a way out!

Last edited:

losfrijoles

Reaction score
We ran our chiller without a canister filter for several months without incident. We just used an external pump and make an intake and sprayer bar out of some PVC and aquarium sponge: New Axolotl cooling system. Any thoughts?

Though if you can't buy a canister filter (which I highly recommend buying...our axolotl has been more active and "happy" than we've ever seen her since we got one), I suppose buying a $500 chiller also isn't reasonable :).

Another cheaper option is perhaps one of those thermoelectric cooling units. Since your tank is only 20L that might actually work for you. They're about $100 on ebay. We abandoned that after it couldn't keep up with our 75L tank in the Texas heat, but it might work fine for a 20L.

leomleite

Reaction score
I use some computer coolers attached to a temperature controller. If the temperature rises above 23°, it turns on automatically. But you can set it to turn on and off to any temp you want.

Attachments

• IMG_20201103_112844.jpg
    IMG_20201103_112844.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 125

LeaAshburn

Reaction score
I use some computer coolers attached to a temperature controller. If the temperature rises above 23°, it turns on automatically. But you can set it to turn on and off to any temp you want.
Can you give me directions on how to set up computer coolers?

leomleite

Reaction score
Can you give me directions on how to set up computer coolers?
All you need are the coolers, one temperature controller (cheap one, rated for 10A), and the 12V power supply. You'll wire the coolers to the output of the temperature controller, and the power supply to the input. I think you can find some comprehensive tutorials on YouTube, probably more helpful than this, lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!