Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Happy and Thriving little Axolotl, thanks to you all!

deeveeance

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while now, about a year and change, throughout the entire venture of researching before getting my two Axolotl (Tat'l and Tael) until now, its been a ton of reading, waiting, and prepping.

Had I not come on here, I wouldn't have known to cycle the tank before introducing anything living, what substrates to use, how often to perform water changes, what type of water I am working with (from my faucets), feeding schedules, etc etc.

I had issues with cloudy/murky water, tons of algae growth, finicky lightin, proper placement of the tank for temps, excess tannins in the water... but all solved just by coming on here, searching and even posting once.

So thank you all for your help and attendance!

I just splurged and purchased a new Fluval 307 for my current 40 gallon breeder tank, and the water went from murky, dirty and brown to crystal clear within a week and a half. The axolotl love it too, as the flow is baffled off, hitting the side of the tank and they sit alongside of it. Funny really.

I also purchased 10 ghost shrimp last week to aide in the algae, but it looks like only one is left alive as of today. The hair algae was significantly reduced, though, so at least their sacrifice was not in vain.

Now onto the long term care portion.

Both of these little guys are a year old, and I might even consider getting one more at around the same age to make use of the space!

Again, thank you all for the help.

Attachments

• 20200919_143220.jpg
    20200919_143220.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 292

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
I love the one on the left! What is his morph? If I ever get an axolotl I'm getting that kind! I can relate to your "Origin Story" it is pretty much mine.

deeveeance

Reaction score
Here's another shot of the full tank after the "remodel" we just did. We had 3 large pieces of wood, but decided to take one out and replace it with a large limestone rock with a bunch of Java Fern already rooted onto it. Our LFS sold it to us for $15, so it was a no brainer!. Decided to go a bit more and get a Spear, and some other grasses.

I love the one on the left! What is his morph? If I ever get an axolotl I'm getting that kind!

Tat'l (pronounced Tattle) is a female Coppertype, and Tael (pronounced Tail) is a Dirty Leucistic. both obtained as juveniles from our local fish shop!

Attachments

• 20201022_120306.jpg
    20201022_120306.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 99

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Here's another shot of the full tank after the "remodel" we just did. We had 3 large pieces of wood, but decided to take one out and replace it with a large limestone rock with a bunch of Java Fern already rooted onto it. Our LFS sold it to us for $15, so it was a no brainer!. Decided to go a bit more and get a Spear, and some other grasses.

Tat'l (pronounced Tattle) is a female Coppertype, and Tael (pronounced Tail) is a Dirty Leucistic. both obtained as juveniles from our local fish shop!
Gorgeous tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1