Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Harlequin or Piebald

R

rita

Seems this is about breeding, are there any breeders out there who have/get harlequin or piebald coloured axolotls??? Does anyone know of a breeder who does??? I am willing to import from other countries if I need to.
Please?? Anyone?????

J

joan

Rita, there aren't any. Harlequins and piebalds are mutations, and aren't necessarily 'bred'. If there were any people breeding them, you'd have to get in line for offspring, I'm afraid.

R

rheann

Hey Rita, I called Ward's. They only have gold, white with black eyes and wild types right now. They are all around an inch long, so very tiny. I placed another order for one just a few minutes ago. he will be shipped off Monday and arrive Wednesday. They don't have any Harlequins or Piebalds I'm afraid. sorry
sad.gif
but all of their others are very healthy and perfect specimens! ^_^

R

rita

Thanks anyway Rheann.
I know that piebalds and harlequins are mutations, but some axolotls carry that mutation, and will be more prone to having offspring with that mutation, which is what I'm hoping to find that someone has, even if I have to wait in line for one. I've only ever seen a one piebald in Australia, but unfortunately I didn't have anything set up, and so couldn't get it.
sad.gif
But if anyone knows of someone who does have axolotls who carry the mutation, I would gladly wait in a line if I had to.

H

hayley-jane

Can someone please post a picture here of a harlequin and piebald as I have no idea what they look like.

happy.gif

J

joan

No, piebaldism is just general splotches of color on an otherwise white animal. Or the other way around. It's quite random.

S

shane

thats so amazing! i never knew it was like that in axolotls, ive seen piebald snakes which are pretty amazing too. is it noticable from birth that they are piebald?

R

rita

Piebaldism becomes obvious at the same time as any other colouration becomes obvious in the babies, so it depends on the axolotl really.
Hey, Claire, your college wouldn't happen to have any piebalds that they'd be willing to sell me, would they?? (I'd imagine that they'd be trying to keep them for themselves though. lols)

J

joan

You'd seriously play hell trying to import axolotls into Australia. I'd chalk it up right next to impossible, unless you were a serious researcher. In that case, it's just improbable.

R

rita

I know... Stupid quarantine laws!!!! Well, I'll just have to keep looking around Aus then...
sad.gif

C

claire

Rita - i dont actually go to college no more and doubt they would get rid of their piebald axies. i dont really think they know how rare they are to be honest.lol. all of the babies that have survived from these piebald axies have never been piebald. they were a very pinky coloured leucistic. bless.

R

rita

Aww. How cute.
Oh wells, I'll just keep looking around. Eventually I'll find one.
frog.gif

Thanks though.

L

lisa

Sorry to ruin your hopes Rita, I've had axies for 5 years, and Ive been keeping my eye out for weird axies in melbourne. Every week I go to 4 - 5 aquarium stores, and I've never seen a piebald or harlequin. I understand they are extremely rare. Which is unfortunate as I would absolutely love a piebald, they're so gorgeous.
I've only come across a few people who have them, and they've all been in the US or england. And Aus quarantine ruins any chance of us importing axies or eggs.

R

rita

I know. Damn quarantine laws.
I have seen one piebald axie in Aus. It was up in Brisbane somewhere a couple of years back, but I don't think that it was for sale, unfortunately.

M

melanie

hello there! I have about 50 hatchlings. they are only a couple of weeks old but a couple of them look like they have those splotches. they may not be but I'll let you know if they do. I'm in melbourne.

R

rita

Hey Melanie,
Are any of the babies harlequins or piebalds??
(sorry, I've just been after one for ages, and so an opportunity to get one is something I don't want to let slip!!)
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1