Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Have a look at my whites' please?

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I've had these frogs a good long while.

A few weeks ago I noticed my smaller frog getting smaller. I removed him to a sterile plastic tub so I could observe him.

I hand fed him a few times - he didn't like it - but after he warmed up he seemed to be doing better. I figured the larger frog had been eating his food and maybe the enclosure had gotten to cold this winter so the double whammy really got him.

Anyway I saw him chow down a cricket on his own and was happy.

Then one day I didn't put his tub all the way on the shelf or something, it fell. I panicked, and eventually found him still in the tub despite my hunting cats.

Then today I saw these spots on his nose. I panicked. I got photos of his nose and as I was putting him back I noticed some scratches/marks on his back.

Is all of this just from the fall? Or are they two different things going on?

Attachments

• Sm whites tree frog 1.jpg
    Sm whites tree frog 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3,183
  • Sm Whites tree frog 4.jpg
    Sm Whites tree frog 4.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 734
  • Sm whites tree frog 2.jpg
    Sm whites tree frog 2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,233
Last edited:

mitchell101

Reaction score
I don't know anything about frogs as i keep axolotls but it looks like those aren't scratches at all. Your frog probably has a disease or a couple of diseases. Some frog people should be along soon to help you. Your frogs look nice and healthy otherwise.

BMOC

Reaction score
Hello,
Are there any sharp decorations in its enclosure? (Because the nose scratch looks like a common case of nose rub, but the back looks like some wood or plastic plants may have scratched him.)
And as for his appetite it is probably because of low temperature. These are very hardy frogs and need a high temperature that at least gets up to 80-85F in the warm spot and 70-78F on the cooler side. And what you can do to make sure the small frog gets enough food is tong feed.

John

A few weeks ago I noticed my smaller frog getting smaller. I removed him to a sterile plastic tub so I could observe him.

I hand fed him a few times - he didn't like it - but after he warmed up he seemed to be doing better. I figured the larger frog had been eating his food and maybe the enclosure had gotten to cold this winter so the double whammy really got him.

Then one day I didn't put his tub all the way on the shelf or something, it fell. I panicked, and eventually found him still in the tub despite my hunting cats.

Then today I saw these spots on his nose. I panicked. I got photos of his nose and as I was putting him back I noticed some scratches/marks on his back.

Reactions: 454

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I suppose I should have mentioned that the sterile tub has a simple dish for water, papertowel bottom and one smooth rock in the water.

Its a double hinged, folding top that numerous plastic bits crisscrossing it. Otherwise the sides and bottom are smooth like like other plastic tubs.

And because I was talking to others about this I didn't mention that I wasn't around when the tub fell and that my cats found the situation first.

After a frantic search for the frog I found him in the first place I looked but not that well, the plastic tub. He must have stuck to either the likd or a inside a fold of the paper towel. I don't think my cats got ahold of him, he'd have more injuries but he could have panicked, leaping about or they could have been banging the tub around with him inside.

I change the water every other day and the papertowels every other day or less if they don't seem fouled.

BMOC

Reaction score
He should heal up and get better in no time IMO. Just keep him well fed with the temps up.
But if his wounds get worse then if you cant take him to the vet then apply a thin coat of neosporin without pain reliever about once a day for 3-5days.
And you may want to treat him for chytrid.
http://fatfrogs.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4368
Dosage is on page 2.

Goodluck,
John

Socrates

Reaction score
The damage of his nose could very well be due to rubbing it along the bottom of the tank. White's Tree Frogs are known to do this - meaning they'll wandering around the edge of their tank and rub there face against it. I have had White's for almost 10 years, and found that taking colored paper and taping about a 1-2 in thin strip along the bottom of the tank on the outside of the glass will stop this behavior. It works in that the frog thinks there is something in their way and will climb the glass, oppose to rub their face on it. Also in regards to his body thinness, try feeding him a few wax worms, they're higher in fat, but the extra fat will help him gain a healthy weight back. Hope the little guy heals up nicely!

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
Im not really sure about the back scratches,
but when i got my White's it was rather a hungry fellow,
when i would go to feed it, he would pay attention to the things outside of the tank and lung at them
That resulted it that nose injury. It looked just like the one yours has, just give it some time and it will heal. Other than that you have a pretty healthy looking frog,Sadly after 2 years ,my Earl got killed from my cat getting to him =[[ i sure do miss the lil cheer critter.

Salamandrae

Reaction score
You might want to pick up some amphibian safe antibiotics at your local fish store. It`s basically antibiotics for fish but just read the label and if it says amphibian safe then make up the mixture and bathe him/her in it.

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score

Hi,

Just like to add that I would agree completely with John's recommendations - just observe initially, go to a vet if they seem to be getting worse or the frog seems to be ill in himself. They do like mild superficial trauma and should not be a problem for a healthy frog. From what I can see from the pictures I wouldn't use any antibiotics initially, but a vet that actually sees him would be in a much better position to assess them if necessary

Good luck with him.

Bruce.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!