Have I killed my babies?

giventofly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emily
Hi all,

Apparently we lost electrical power last night when we were sleeping and I estimate our heat was off for about 4 or 5 hours. The temperature in the container that holds my developing axolotl eggs has stayed right around 65 degrees F, except for last night! I checked the temperature this morning and it was 53 degrees! The babies are 15 days old as of today and have their gills. Do you think this temperature drop killed them? They aren't moving around sporadically like they have been. Should I try to heat the tank back up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they moving at all? I would let the ambient temperature warm the tub up gradually. 53 isn't too cold, but a sudden swing back to warm wouldn't probably cause more trouble.

Great news! 5 babies hatched today when I got home from work! I got the tank up to about 70 degrees and this really set off the hatching! This is my first time raising eggs so I'm ecstatic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I have a big batch of eggs I often keep half cool and half at room temp, this separates hatching times. I have kept eggs at 10c with no probs

I thought axolotls love cold temperature. I read they do better in cold than hot. They even said don't let it get to warm because axolotls don't like that. Maybe the cold makes them calmer. I read something like that also.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back