He wont stop floating

B

bookie

i just bought my axie about a week ago. this is my very first one. i didnt know what it was when i got it. when i fount out what it was it was kinda late to fix some of the problems. i changed the gravel because right when i put him in the tank he ate a rock...got bigger ones. i had to use a plastic cup as a cave. i cut the bottom off and smoothed it with a nail fialer.. i got a filter and bubbles maker. i had to put a spoon over the hold of the bubble maker to reduce air flow. it was making to much water movement. but i put my axie in the fridge. (sorry im not a very good speller).the water got to 60 F. he looks ok. moves alot though. he's kinda losing his black color on his tail. i belive hes a wild type. someone please help im lost. and i dont want my 20$ or yen (japanese money) to go to waist. and yes im in japan for business with my dad.}

Hi Bookie,
I'm guessing that your tank is not cycled. Check this link out http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

The cycling process will take at least a month to do, so for that time, it is best for your axolotl to be housed separately with daily water changes.
By the way, what size tank do you have?

When you say he's losing his black colour on his tail - what colour is it going? Can you post a picture so we can see?

Did you buy the axie in Japan or did you buy it in the USA before you went to Japan?

Also, the thread topic is about floating but you don't mention floating in your post - is he or isn't he
happy.gif
. If he is, keep him in shallow water and the fridge is probably the best place for him to be right now.

(Message edited by waltona on July 24, 2005)

ok. i put this ammo lock. it says it instantly detoxifies ammonia. and removes chlorine and chloramines. i put it in the water before i put him in it. but its like a clear now.its just the end of his tail. i think he injured it. but yes its mostly about him floating lol. he keeps floating. his tank water is about 65 F. i keep my air condition on to keep it that cold. leaving me freezing. ill try to get a picture of him. but i dont got a camera right now. but now im looking at Mookie my akie hes not floating now. i think. because sometimes he holds on to the rocks.

oh and yes i bought the axie in japan. i really dont understand the cycle process

Cycle is just setting up biological processing of waste from ammonia (which is bad) to nitrite (which is kinda bad) to nitrates (which are good up to a point). Ammonia and nitrites are harmful to axies and so the cycle should be done before you put an axie in the tank. In most cases this just doesn't happen because pet shops don't seem to care a damn about their livestock once their off their shelves
smile9.gif

What needs to happen is remove the axolotl from the tank, find an alternate container he can be in for about a month at least while the tank cycles. You will need to do daily or so water changes on the water your axolotl is living in.

Meanwhile, put some axy food or axy poo into the tank and let it start cycling. This will take at least a month as the ammonia levels establish and drop off, at which point nitrite levels with establish and then drop off, and then the nitrates will establish.

In order to check where in the cycle your tank is at during this process, you will need to get ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits so you can test the levels.

I'm curious as to why you got an axolotl while you were in Japan - I suppose you are planning to take it with you when you go back to Texas, but have you thought about trade and quarantine restrictions? I'm in Australia so I'm not sure what exactly might happen between Japan and America but not so long ago someone had a similar question - check these forums.

Not a lot, Brent. We need to check if there's a reason why they may be shrinking or if it's just an aging thing. What are the ammonia, pH and nitrite readings? How old is the axie?

happy.gif
BTW, it's probably a good idea to start a new thread - to do this go to the bottom of the sick axie index page and click on the link..

he would be about 3 years of age
not sure of my levels just moved house cant find test kit

oh ok. thanks. i really dont know what i will do. im just hoping he will live right now. he stop floating since i put him in the fridge. i havent bought kits yet. since all the things are in japanese it will take me a while. im with the military right now and on the base they havent got many stuff for water pets. ima have to do more searching. but if i put him in a smaller place im afraid he'll jump out. i hear they do that

Hi there I have a floating Axolotl problem. Hes called Nobby and hes about 9 months old (actually I think hes a she!) and he doesnt seem to be able to keep his back end down and keeps floating to the top. I have a bubbler and a filter, and feed him on earthworms (organic!) and bloodworm. i fed him lotds the other day and he swelled up but I just thought he was full up!! Hes gone back down to normal size now but is floating even worse. What can I do? Can anyone help?????

xochimilco - put the axolotl in a food safe container in shallow water that barely covers the axolotl. That will help it get its footing.

I would put it in the fridge over night and see if it is still having a problem in the morning.

Cynthia- thanks (s)he seems to have recovered after following above instructions!

Check out this website to find out about the conservation efforts that are being taken to preserve the axolotl in the wild. These amazing creatures are only found in one place in the world, and they are under threat from man made pollution and land conversion. However, the Durrell Institute of Conservation Ecology are working with local people to save the axolotl. Check out this link to find out more: http://www.kent.ac.uk/anthropology/dice/research/axolotl.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back