Heater for axolotl

BrokkenBow

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi guys, first time poster here! Just wanted to say first of all how valuable this forum has been for me to learn more about keeping axolotls, anytime a question pops into my head, the answers are usually always here!

I finally got my first axolotl 3 days ago after about 6 months of researching/getting the tank ready. The little guy is settling in quite well, but because of where I live, I need to have a 50w heater running in order to keep the temperature at about 18 degrees C (ambient temp is 8c where I live :cool:). I am now wondering if there's anything I can do to protect my little axolotl from bumping into the heater, as he did that once so far and got a big fright from it. Let me know what you guys think!

Oh and I have a 65L tank with a 50watt Eheim heater set to 18c.
13866781_10154289226952557_747831141_n.jpg

I dont think you need a heater people put these guys in the fridge. I wouldn't put a heater in with my newts unless i see frost forming on the top of the water.

Someone with a some experience with axolotl should help soon. Now that i checked it out to you have cold water. What tempis you're house?

You don't need a heater. Ever. Axies are fine down to 5C.

Ah ok thanks guys. Just out of curiosity, wouldn't they have a better time with a heater to achieve 16-18degrees rather than no heater and be in about 8 degrees of water? The fact that they do fine in colder temperatures doesn't mean that it's optimum for them, given that their metabolism (and presumed growth) is increased in warmer waters. Just my train of thought :eek:

The optimum temp for axies is 10C. Faster growth is not always better, and good nutrition is more important that temp for growth anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back