Hello, from Connecticut USA

fishfrogsNmore

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been fascinated with small critters ever since I can remember. I am particularly interested in fish, reptiles and of course amphibians! I am from Connecticut, but I have also lived briefly in Florida. I miss the abundance of wildlife since leaving Florida so I am in the process of turning my basement into a critter cave. I currently keep a variety of frogs including:
Dart frogs (Dendrobates tinctorius azureus)
Red eyed tree frogs (Agalychnis callidryas)
Firebelly toads (Bombina orientalis)
Green tree frogs (Hyla cinerea).
I am also keeping a GFP wild type juvenile axolotl.

I have been trying acquire several newts and salamanders, but had no luck and only recently discovered the importation ban. However, I am happy because I am sure this will lead me to CB animals which will be healthier, not put a strain on the ecosystem, and I will become more informed on best practices.

I am particularly interested in:
Marbled newt (Triturus marmoratus)
Japanese firebelly newt (Cynops pyrrhogaster)
Emperor newt (Tylototriton shanjing)
Fire salamander (Salamandra salamandra)
Green salamander (Aneides aeneus)
Red salamander (Pseudotriton ruber)

Thank you all for reading :happy:

Welcome to the group. At this point is virtually impossible to import wild newts and salamanders. We can get CB ones. If you look in the For Sale USA section of the forum people offer efts for sale. Any of the firebellies are expensive because it can takes years to raise adults.

Good luck,

Viking

Thank you for the reply and the advice :happy:

I have been exploring my local reptile expo (White Plains NY), but no salamanders or newts yet. I might try and check out the one on Long Island. I've been reading some of the posts and it seems many Expos have newts and salamanders and I just got unlucky at mine.

Can't wait to check out more of this site. :happy:

Hello, I’m a newbie on this forum as well. I’ve also been checking out reptile shows in our area and haven’t seen any Amphibians other than dart frogs. Is interest in caudates so low in NY/NJ/CT?

Indoorecosystems breeds LEGAL CBB Aneides aeneus if you still are interested

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back