Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Victoria, Australia

KayDee

Reaction score
Just wanted to do a quick introduction and say a big thank you for the wealth of knowledge you provide to axolotl owners worldwide.

I am a new axie owner but have had tropical fish for many years. I recently purchased an albino axolotl and he has a large 4 ft tank all to himself. The kids have named him "Onion" as they think he has a mild resemblance to a cut up onion😁.

So far we are managing quite well with caring for our new friend, although I did spend a lot of time worrying about him at first. And after 2 weeks I can now feed him worms without feeling extremely guilty about sacrificing them for Onion's dinner.

At the moment we are in the midst of winter, so our temps are usually around 14 degrees so his tank is just right. Summer is going to a battle as we can frequently get days and days of mid to high 30 degree temps so I am on the lookout for a chiller.
Thanks once again for all the info you have provided on this forum. It has made my foray into axie ownership so much easier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1