Help! Accidental Eggs!

thesestarsistole

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help! I awoke to a surprise this morning when our axolotl tank had little eggs all over the place. I went out and got a 40 gallon tank but (that’s all i could afford right now in order to separate my axolotls in the future.) i have no filter/substrate for the second tank yet.

Please help me decide wether to leave the eggs that the collected in the tupperware container i’ve begun collecting them in or put them in the new tank with cycled water? i work full time so i’m looking for something where i can kind of let the eggs do their own thing! i still want a chance at hatching them but i have no clue what i’m doing.

any tips are appreciated! thanks.

Attachments

• A7BDBE56-66C8-4E48-A889-969031F01F3A.jpeg
    A7BDBE56-66C8-4E48-A889-969031F01F3A.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 844
  • 4F8D1EFE-140C-47FC-AB64-B35C8AF8C270.jpeg
    4F8D1EFE-140C-47FC-AB64-B35C8AF8C270.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DCA43E16-C38B-45FB-A1CE-D5A2079B34FC.jpeg
    DCA43E16-C38B-45FB-A1CE-D5A2079B34FC.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 109
are the pictures recent photo's of your axolotl?

Nice! Are they free, by chance? I would love to accompany mango!!

I saw those links; it seems like most people keep them in shallow containers with no substrate or filtration. if that’s correct do i need to do water changes or anything to them as eggs or only once they’ve hatched?
I've attached some info that may be of use

Attachments

• 09-16brothers.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
Congratulations to your Axies' new family! Definitely set up a tank divider if you haven't already as breeding is incredibly stressful and physically bearing on the female, not to mention, adult axolotls can be cannibalistic. I do hope you keep documentation on this though as it would be interesting to hear how many make it to adulthood.

Congratulations to your Axies' new family! Definitely set up a tank divider if you haven't already as breeding is incredibly stressful and physically bearing on the female, not to mention, adult axolotls can be cannibalistic. I do hope you keep documentation on this though as it would be interesting to hear how many make it to adulthood.
I bought the other tank with plans to separate them as soon as i can get a filter. I read that reproduction is hard on females so we will for sure be putting mama into her very own tank. I will post an update here shortly.

Help! I awoke to a surprise this morning when our axolotl tank had little eggs all over the place. I went out and got a 40 gallon tank but (that’s all i could afford right now in order to separate my axolotls in the future.) i have no filter/substrate for the second tank yet.

Please help me decide wether to leave the eggs that the collected in the tupperware container i’ve begun collecting them in or put them in the new tank with cycled water? i work full time so i’m looking for something where i can kind of let the eggs do their own thing! i still want a chance at hatching them but i have no clue what i’m doing.

any tips are appreciated! thanks.
Are you willing to sell any eggs?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back