Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Ammonia wont go down. Did i crash my cycle?

kvg2000

Reaction score
Hi everyone so ive been cycling for almost 3 months now and im still a newbie at this, so any advice from more experienced keepers will be really helpful:) TIA.

The first pic is my parameters a week ago. It was perfect i thought i was finally cycled. Reading was 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate. But i wasn't getting the axolotl for another couple days so i kept dosing ammonia whenever it went down.

The next day I noticed my ammonia didn’t go down after 24hrs like it did a few days before & nitrates went up to 80ppm . So I posted on a group and they said my nitrates were way too high and thats why my ammonia wasn't goin down & said i need to do about a 50% water change so i did.

Few days later and the second Pic is my readings from today and the last 2 days. After the water change i managed to get the nitrates down to about 10-20ppm (dosed ammonia to 4ppm after wc) But my ammonia still will not go down.

Now im lost at what to do. Did i crash my cycle? Im not sure what caused it. Is there any way i can fix it? Please help thank you!

Parameters today:
Ammonia 4ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:10-20ppm
PH: 7.6

Attachments

• A298CB95-F424-4146-B9F5-6193C8246F2A.jpeg
    A298CB95-F424-4146-B9F5-6193C8246F2A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 249
  • 9A3B8496-3C05-42D7-9F03-DE9E81F1679A.jpeg
    9A3B8496-3C05-42D7-9F03-DE9E81F1679A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi everyone so ive been cycling for almost 3 months now and im still a newbie at this, so any advice from more experienced keepers will be really helpful:) TIA.

The first pic is my parameters a week ago. It was perfect i thought i was finally cycled. Reading was 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate. But i wasn't getting the axolotl for another couple days so i kept dosing ammonia whenever it went down.

The next day I noticed my ammonia didn’t go down after 24hrs like it did a few days before & nitrates went up to 80ppm . So I posted on a group and they said my nitrates were way too high and thats why my ammonia wasn't goin down & said i need to do about a 50% water change so i did.

Few days later and the second Pic is my readings from today and the last 2 days. After the water change i managed to get the nitrates down to about 10-20ppm (dosed ammonia to 4ppm after wc) But my ammonia still will not go down.

Now im lost at what to do. Did i crash my cycle? Im not sure what caused it. Is there any way i can fix it? Please help thank you!

Parameters today:
Ammonia 4ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:10-20ppm
PH: 7.6
Okay so if you have the axolotl, you’ll need to get them out right away. And yes, I would assume you might have to get a pre seeded sponge filter or something to cycle it quickly

kvg2000

Reaction score
Okay so if you have the axolotl, you’ll need to get them out right away. And yes, I would assume you might have to get a pre seeded sponge filter or something to cycle it quickly

I dont have any axolotls in the tank yet i was about to get them but then this happened.. im not sure where i can get any pre seeded filter in my area. Most i found online dont ship to canada

Murk

Reaction score
That is a curious situation. A water change alone should not be able to crash your cycle. Did you change or clean anything else?

kvg2000

Reaction score
That is a curious situation. A water change alone should not be able to crash your cycle. Did you change or clean anything else?

Thats why im so lost at what to do. The ammonia wasn’t going down before i even did the water change and i thought it would help get moving things along after that but nothing happened to the ammonia just lowered my nitrates. Didn’t clean or change anything from the tank either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!