Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Axolotl baby without oxygen for a few days

lululemon982

Reaction score
This weekend I had gone camping, and asked my neighbour to come and check on my 3 month old lotl while I was away. He said that the day he came, she was looking and acting normally.

While I was gone, there was a power outage, and this caused her filter to turn off and not back on. I have her filter set up so that provides oxygen for her tank, and it being turned off must have drastically lowered the levels of oxygen in her tank. She was probably without this filter for 1-2 days D:

When I came back, I found her completely pale, (she is normally a pink colour) gills lost almost all frills, and floating on the top of the tank. I blew on her and she swam for a minute, thankfully not dead. I tested the water and it was normal (Ammonia 0.25, nitrites 0 nitrates 10)

I quickly tubbed her, and she has been tubbed for two days now. She's pooped and eaten normally, but she hasn't coloured up yet and she is still floating with a bit of a tilt. I feel horrible and am extremely worried about her. Is there anything else I can do?

Attachments

• image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    859.2 KB · Views: 656

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Oxygenation is not the problem at all - Axolotls do not need aeration at all to survive and be healthy.

What are the water parameters in the tank? you may have am uncycled or crashed cycle from the filter being off.

tilited is a likely air bubble and pale could be anemia.

For air bubble - feed fight fat foods - repashy grub pie or thawed raw salmon pieces cut to appropriate size.
For possible anemia - its Johns solution and high quality food - use 20-30% johns solution 24/7 until better then 20% forever to prevent anemia and fungus

lululemon982

Reaction score
Oxygenation is not the problem at all - Axolotls do not need aeration at all to survive and be healthy.

What are the water parameters in the tank? you may have am uncycled or crashed cycle from the filter being off.

tilited is a likely air bubble and pale could be anemia.

For air bubble - feed fight fat foods - repashy grub pie or thawed raw salmon pieces cut to appropriate size.
For possible anemia - its Johns solution and high quality food - use 20-30% johns solution 24/7 until better then 20% forever to prevent anemia and fungus

When I look at her it does seem possible that she has an air bubble. One side of her stomach has a lump and theres nothing in her tank she could have eaten. By some stroke of luck my family is having salmon tonight.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
It needs to be previously frozen salmon though - fresh salmon can harbour parasites that can affect your axolotl

When I look at her it does seem possible that she has an air bubble. One side of her stomach has a lump and theres nothing in her tank she could have eaten. By some stroke of luck my family is having salmon tonight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1