Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Axolotl doesn’t like night crawlers anymore?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I’ve had my axie for maybe a month now, and at the beginning she boycotted pellets so we switched her over to red wigglers, then nightcrawlers. We get our nightcrawlers from our local general store, and they are kept in a mini fridge at 64 there. They all look healthy and fat, so I can’t figure out why my axie has gone off them. This morning when I went to feed her, I dropped a piece in her tank, and when she didn’t go for it, I left it in there. When I went back in, she had taken a massive poop on her nightcrawler, so maybe it tasted weird after that?😂😂 I offered her pellets, and she snatched them out of the water right away. We just bought 24 night crawlers, so I would prefer to at least have her eat them until we run out. Any ideas why she doesn’t want to eat them? We cut them into pieces a little smaller then the width of her head, and being nightcrawlers they are rather round, but that’s never bothered her before. Any advice is appreciated!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Different varieties of nightcrawlers have different tastes many are bitter and the axos dont like the slime coat.

I prefer European Nightcrawlers and farm them in a tub in my basement.

Canadian and African nightcrawlers are their least favorite and frequently what you find sold as bait.

You can try dunking in hot water to strip the slime coat and/or dunking in fresh garlic juice or Seachem garlic guard

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Different varieties of nightcrawlers have different tastes many are bitter and the axos dont like the slime coat.

I prefer European Nightcrawlers and farm them in a tub in my basement.

Canadian and African nightcrawlers are their least favorite and frequently what you find sold as bait.

You can try dunking in hot water to strip the slime coat and/or dunking in fresh garlic juice or Seachem garlic guard
Okay, thank you! Yes, we’ve been using Canadian night crawlers, which is what her breeder says she uses, so I can’t figure out why she went off them. I’ll definitely try that tonight if she doesn’t eat again!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1