Help! Firebelly has some kind of fungus

N

noelle

I have 2 firebelly toads in a 10 gal aquarium. I have half of it with a water dish. Half with slate and fake plant. I use the substrate they recommended at the pet store (some kind of coconut moss stuff that expands in water). I've had them for 2 months. About 2 weeks ago one developed a white bubble over his eye and his nose turned a reddish brown mush. I read that treating the water with clear water from jungle would help this. I have been giving him a slightly more concentrated bath in this every day for the last week and a half and keeping his water treated normally. The other toad is fine. He doesn't seem to be eatting and tries to bury himself under the water dish or under the slate in the moss. He will let me hold him now and sits in my hand and talks to me. So I've grown attached and really don't want to lose him. What else can I treat this poor guy with to help him out. He really rubs at it so it must itch. If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear from you. Thanks in advance for your help.

I dont know anything about what is wrong with your toad, but if you have the other toad still in there, take out the sick toad and quarantine it in a tank by itself until it is better. If you keep them together, your healthy toad could get sick too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back