Help, High Nitrite for no reason at all!

Invadetor

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi all, I checked the nitrite level in my Axolotl tank and it was rather high, I think around 0.5 to 1 ppm (I'm not good at reading colors).
After seeing this I run and made a 40-50% water change, and added the beneficial bacteria + the thingy that make tap water good for aquariums (can't remember the name).
Anyway, why I tell for no reason? Well the fact is that I always remove all poop, give food right into the Axolotl mouth (so they eat everything) and there are some plants (and brown algae too) that should help with nitrite/ammonia... and not only that!
The Axolotl are giving no sign of Stress due to Nitrite! They eat everything and still try to eat my hand as usual, they rarely go take a breath in the top (like once or so every day), their gills don't move incredibly fast and there is no sign of burn-like skin!
Tho, my bigger Axolotl was still like a dead fish near the filter, and I'm not sure why... once I touched him for like three times, he flee away in the bottom super fast, and since than he didn't do it again...
I'm thinking it might just be the Sera test I use, that gave me a false result for once (especially because right after I finished my Water Change, I did another test, and it didn't change a bit), so I would like to know what do you think of this, and if I can sleep without stressing today.
Anyway thank for all the help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back