Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help : I found a hurt Toad

chrono1286

Reaction score
This guy is pretty big, about the size of my palm. He was just sitting still near my door last night. His front left leg is usually in a pretty unnatural position yet when I lift it it seems in tack and not broken. There is a fairly large sore on the wrist area of that same leg that was bleeding a good amount. I don't know what to do for him, I've only had toads as pets from a pet store before years ago, never this large or hurt. :confused:

2enuttt.jpg

IanF

Reaction score
I'd love to help, but I don't know sorry. Mabey try to stop the bleeding but I think that might just stress it out more.

keechoo

Reaction score
Try putting neosporin on the wound. Keep him on paper towel with a water bowl big enough for his whole body. Try finding a vet that will take a look at him. Also, each state has a wildlife rescue group. Find their number (usually somewhere on your state's homepage), give them a call, and they'll give you directions either on how to take care of him or how to get him to them. Out of the 3 states I have lived in all 3 have been very helpful.

Good luck!

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Even though I doubt any wildlife rescue is going to care about a single toad - its worth a shot. Spring is over and the rush of injured babies and young is mostly passed. Some might have some extra time on their hands.

IF they don't care you might try splinting it into a more natural position. I've splinted a hamster, duck, chicken, a dog and a kitten. They've all come out all right.

I think it would be interesting to splint a toad. If you want to try it, I'll tell you what I did for the duck and hamster.

Sharon

marco

Reaction score
Thats a beautiful Bufo, looks like a Regularis or Cane toad.. but I doubt its either of them very much;)

A splint would be a good idea, keep it in a clinical set up aswell. Damp paper towels and no organic hides. If you can clearly make out what the wound looks like, try bandaging it with some sterile bandage. If it survives to the point that the bleeding stops, then I'd suggest treating the wound with tamodine to keep it clear from infection.

chrono1286

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses! I contacted a wildlife rescue place but have not heard back from them. I will go into my storage unit and get a fish tank and set it up as you have said. He's doing a lot better from last night though, he's moving at least now.

Also, I went to pick him up to look at the sore again and every time I do so he usually curls his head down and closes his eyes, and then a funny bad smell reaches my nose... do toads emit bad smells when they're scared?!

Also, google image search has confused me I don't know if he's an American Toad or Regularis as suggested... any one know what he/she is?

chrono1286

Reaction score
Was joking about the Regularis sorry. They come from africa. Hope the Wildlife centre gets in contact with you.

Looked like some of the pictures I found of regularis on google though, thought maybe it could have been an escaped pet.

marco

Reaction score
I suppose its possible and it does have a close resemblance to a Square mark but seeing as it was found in a wild habitat id vouch for it being a common American toad.

keechoo

Reaction score
If you can't get it to the vet keep trying the wildlife rescue. They DO care about "a single toad" but sometimes it takes them a bit longer to respond especially if dangerous emergencies have occurred.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1