Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP!! Java fern issue!!

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
So, my java fern aren’t looking to good. I have a green thumb outside of aquatic plants apparently😂 I’m not actively trying to kill it, and both of my plants are attached to a price of driftwood. I’ve heard of using crushed eggshells for aquatic plant fertilizer, is this safe for axolotls? My LFS is all out of any water column fertilizer, so I would prefer to make my own. Does anyone know if eggshell powder or onion peels is safe for axolotls?

Last edited:

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Eggshell would be fine but really its all calcium.

The only type of fertilizers you can use and sparingly in an axolotl tank are shrimp safe. Others contain copper which is not axolotl safe.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Eggshell would be fine but really its all calcium.

The only type of fertilizers you can use and sparingly in an axolotl tank are shrimp safe. Others contain copper which is not axolotl safe.
Okay! Thank you! I already responded more in the other thread. To wrap this thread up, i think I’ll try again with plants once I have a bit more experience, and my tank is fully cycled and running well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!