Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Lotl’s not been moving all week

Ya_Boi_Eon

Reaction score
He has not been this inactive before! I don‘t know what to do!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    952.2 KB · Views: 404

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
He’s still alive
i know becuase he flicks his gills every now and then
inactivity can be normal for adult axolotls. they're most active at night, so they usually spend the days resting. if your axolotl is not moving for a long period of time (as in, days) there may be a more serious issue.
we need to know;
- your water parameters. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and temperature
- his diet. what is he eating, how much, and how often
- tank size. is it a 20 gallon? or bigger? smaller?
- any other background information

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
All i know is that I feed him DEEZ:
we need to know his parameters. you need to know his parameters. honestly it sounds like you're a very young child who's parents impulse bought a pet, and it doesn't appear that the adults in this situation are doing much to care for them. moreover, that food is for carps, which are fish- and axolotls are amphibians. the best diet for an axolotl is earthworms or red wigglers. because you don't know his parameters, there is a chance that the tank cycle has crashed- if it was ever cycled at all. this is very dangerous. axolotls can essentially poison themselves with their own waste if there is not a beneficial bacteria colony in the tank. there are infinite possibilities for what might be causing his inactivity, and i cannot give you any advice other than to please please please have your parents read this message. there is a lot that needs to be done to care for these animals properly, and i do not believe they are in an environment where they can be healthy. i am begging you, please have your parents or caregivers contact me. i can only help if i can offer advice to someone who can follow it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1