Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help my fire bellied newts arent eating

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
They are probably stressed from being captured, imported, put under bad petshop care, and is now adjusting to their new environment, it could take some time, but these articles and threads may help you out:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-new-chinese-fire-belly-newts-not-eating.html
Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms
And assuming you're talking about Hypselotriton orientalis, though all "firebelly" newts have generally similar care:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

lilmiklo916

Reaction score
I've been trying to feed them small meal worms because my newts are quite small
And I was concerned because they are both very active but they still don't won't to eat

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
H orientalis doest get very big, at all, around 4" max. for females, and males are even smaller. Mealworms are completely inadequate for a staple diet for newts, they aren't very good nutritionally, they have hard exoskeletons that make them difficult to digest and they can bite the newts given the chance.
A staple diet should consist of either chopped or small whole earthworm/nightcrawler or a high quality pellet. Newts usually will prefer worms over pellets, but a lot of them will take both. And red wigglers are often refused because of a distasteful secretion they well, secrete, when they're cut.
If you still can't get them to eat after that, you might wanna try waxworms to entice them into eating again. Fixing your housing might also help their stress go down, and if you're ever thinking about buying more newts, don't buy from some petshop and wait until you get everything sorted out too.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been trying to feed them small meal worms because my newts are quite small
And I was concerned because they are both very active but they still don't won't to eat

Did you read any of the articles that Aaron (ThoseNewtsThough) linked in his first post? Most, if not all the info you need is in there. Nobody minds helping or answering questions, but you need to help yourself and do your own research. If you use the search function you will find threads about sick petstore newts that wont eat or get wet posted over and over again, all answered with the same advice.

If you're still unsure about anything else once you have read the articles in the links, then ask away and we'll help you all we can. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1