Illness/Sickness: Help! My newt is getting worse!

newb

Reaction score
Country
Estonia
Hi. I'm new on this forum. I have a young newt not sure which specie, he has sandy skin and he used to live with 2 adult newts.. that are brown and smooth. The size difference wasn't so big. But recently bigger newt bullied the smaller one. My tank is 70l big with many hiding places and plants, so they had plenty of space. Before it was just light bullying for food but yesterday I saw smaller one without back foot. I took him out to plastic box and separated them. But problem is I'm not sure when it happened yesterday or a day before. When I evacuated him he had very light small barely visible fungus. I gave him saltbath immediately and left him for today. He also ate before I saw it all yesterday. An earthworm. Today when I checked him his limb has increased fungus quite a bit and he vomited the worm out. He is stressed and I'm not sure how to stop this white fungus and to save him. Please help.

Yes, yesterday his leg looked like this http://i.imgur.com/rCkqY9r.jpg

And today it looks like this
OWwjOXa.jpg

on tip it looks like fuzzy white thing as if of many strings, like fungus looks like, near his body it is just blurry, maybe it's the dead tissues ?

I'm not sure what how his specie is called, but he has this rough sandy skin.

Last edited:
Ah, it's a Spanish sharp ribbed newt, are the others the same species?
I think it probably looks worse than it is and he'll soon start eating again, but salt baths twice a day should clear any fungus up and help the healing process. Here's a tutorial that I used from the Axolotl section, just ignore the part about fridging, that's not really needed for your newt. If you're keeping him in another container, away from the others, you need to be sure the water stays clean. Unless its a fully cycled tank, I would change all his water every day, either with water from his usual tank, or dechlorinated tap water until he's ready to go back to his tankmates. Keep us posted. :)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back