Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help my salamander frank wont eat!!

amyb

Reaction score
hi i have a tiger salamander and he is refusing to eat anything at all apart from pinkies he won't eat anything other than them also he has started climbing alot which is something he has never done before i don't know what to do i have never had on before so not to sure what in doing please help me in worried he will die??i have tried every food the eat and hes not interested in them help me please ??

Last edited:

RPM

Reaction score
Try withholding the pinkies and try crickets or other live fast moving food every few days. Remember to remove any uneaten live crickets. Also try spraying the tank down with water before attempting to feed him as this usually stimulates them to eat. He probably isn’t that hungry and knows that eventually he will get a mouse pup which he prefers. Once he’s eating crickets you can wean him off them and onto nightcrawlers. If he’s been eating pinkies he should have good fat reserves so don’t worry about him starving. Pinkies should only be offered as an occasional treat.
When you mention climbing, is he climbing on hiding structures and other fixtures or up the walls of the tank?

amyb

Reaction score
hes climbing on his plant he has and i don't give him pinkies anymore I've tried every live animal i can find and nothing he just turns away from it and burrows into his coconut fiber in at a loss really at what to do next is it bad just feeding pinkies to him can it kill him ??

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Whats your setup like, and the whats temperature your keeping it at

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!