HELP! my tap water is unusable for water changes

In fact, not really.
Nitrates are not very toxic by themselves.
Nevertheless, if you let them accumulate, you'll end with side effetcs like algae.

Nitrates is generally evidence of something wrong, like decaying organic matter in excess.
Here you know the cause is total ammonia brought by tap water plus ammonia excreted by your axie.
You also know ammonia is well converted to nitrates.

One way to control ammonia and nitrates together is adding real aquatic fats-growing plants.
Chose plants like Egeria densa, Ceratophyllum.
If you have no light on your tank, Java moss and Java fern will help but put a lot of them.
I've heard live plants are hard to keep alive since axolotls require such cool water. I'll definitely be looking into some hardy plants for the tank, though.

I was able to get some freshwater for a water change today to be sure we're not putting more ammonia back in the tank, I'll make sure to test the water first.

The plants I gave the names thrive well in axolotls tanks.
I have them in all my aquatic caudates tanks which are in my garage (temps varying between 4°C to 21°C on a long term)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back