Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help pale golden albino?!?

Jaxolotl27

Reaction score
New to the Axolotl world, and I need some help/advice! Two days ago I rescued 4 Axolotls, there is 1 malanoid?(black), and 3 golden albinos... two males, two females! I was told they were all housed together and from the pictures that were sent to me it looked like they lived in a bare tank. I have one big concern rn with that being that one of the males is a golden albino and then two golden albino females. However the male looks incredibly skinny and he looks very different in color almost as if he’s like a pale yellow, where as the two females are a bright rich peach golden color. I’m unsure if this is just his coloring or if something is wrong with him? To me he just doesn’t seem right, or even as active as the others. Could he possibly be anemic? How would I know that and how would I correct it?! Now I understand they just went through a great amount of stress as they were brought to me in a 5 gallon bucket and the water was pretty warm by the time they got to me. That first night they all had diarrhea and no one wanted to eat! However, It’s now been three days that I’ve had them and the diarrhea is gone and they’ve all ate! But, the male I’m concerned about took a little bit longer to get him to eat, but he did end up eating. I was told they have only been eating frozen bloodworms, so I did offer them that and I also gave them some live earthworms that I cut up and hand fed(w/utensils)to them. I would greatly appreciate any advice as I have read a lot about them but am far from experienced and I don’t know if I’m just freaking out over my little boy for no reason Or if I have reason to be concerned!? Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and comment back to me about this!!!

Jaxolotl27

Reaction score
Could you add some photos so we can see please😊
I definitely will! I feel like after I got him to eat some earth worms, he brightened up some! Soo I’m happy about that but still concerned with what’s going on with him! But as soon as i get home from school I’ll post some!

AMurry24537

Reaction score
To hopefully help calm some of your concern, goldens come in a variety of shades. Mine, especially if he isn't being super active, is so light that he could almost pass for a regular albino. Additionally, as he grew out of being a baby, he slowed down A LOT and was much less active, which is pretty normal. Basically, I'm not saying that there's definitely nothing wrong here, but the color difference itself isn't necessarily a cause for concern. My advice would be to try talking to the previous owner to see if this is a new development or simply the way he's always been.

wolfen

Reaction score
could just be a case of axie bullying where the other axies are getting to the food first and he is being pushed out, you might have to place food in two different places (frozen bloodworm is just dropped/placed in a tank so first come first served) or tweezer feed until his size (waistline) is better.

wolfen

Reaction score
anemia is caused by a lack of minerals in the water, if you are concerned about this then please research into using holtfreters solution (although I find this to be too strong and prefer to use a modified holfreters instead).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!