HELP - Peeling slime coat - what’s wrong??

sianie.b

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, hoping someone can help me determine what is the cause of my axolotls slime coat peeling off.

To give some background, I have had it for about 2-3 weeks (“it” is still nameless as we are unsure of the gender 😅 but I call it a “he” out of habit). I have been doing 20% water changes about weekly since we’ve had it, and yes I use dechlorinated water.
I treated him last week for a fungal infection when I noticed him starting to get white ‘fuzz’ on his head and acting sluggish and just really sickly in general. I did 1 salt bath per day for a few days, even tho it was visibly gone after just 1.
Anyway, I changed the water on Monday and when I went to do this, I thought I saw the fungus coming back, so I gave him a salt bath again (much to his disgust as he fought me a lot on being in there compared to previous times), did my 20% water change, then returned him to the tank. The next day (Tuesday) I thought I saw the fungus still there, but as the day went on, I realised it was actually his slime coat peeling off. And today (Thursday) it is even worse.

The water temp is always around 16-18 degreesC. I tested the water parameters on the Tuesday (listed below) and everything seems ok to me based on what I’ve read. He has not lost his appetite at all, in fact he seems a little extra hungry, and is still moving around the tank a usual amount. I don’t think the water flow is stressing him as he seems to be quite happy sitting under the filter and even swims up to it (see pictures).
Considering on all other accounts he seems happy, I am guessing it is just the stress of the last salt bath that has caused the peeling?
Hopefully someone can shed some insight so I can stop stressing 😅

water parameters:
PH - 7.6 (high range PH test said 7.4, not sure what the difference is)
Ammonia - 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm

The tank is approx 54L (14.27 U.S Gallons)

Attachments

• 0A4F2702-4EB8-4C79-B4B8-C422703189A0.jpeg
    0A4F2702-4EB8-4C79-B4B8-C422703189A0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 284
  • 9E1EA553-BC8C-4A04-A748-DE44FFED2404.jpeg
    9E1EA553-BC8C-4A04-A748-DE44FFED2404.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
  • EC775459-C157-4268-842E-99030D918343.jpeg
    EC775459-C157-4268-842E-99030D918343.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
  • 9F897349-D2D8-44E0-B93F-5F8155443AF1.jpeg
    9F897349-D2D8-44E0-B93F-5F8155443AF1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131
  • 7E63D14E-05F6-46F2-8050-1234B90D4EB1.jpeg
    7E63D14E-05F6-46F2-8050-1234B90D4EB1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
It seems like you have an uncycled tank and gave the axolotl regular salt baths. Makes sense to me that his skin would be damaged.

Uncycled tank
You have ammonia but no nitrates - your tank is likely uncycled. That means that (even though you do regular small water changes) there will always be a level of ammonia in the water. Ammonia is harmful to axolotls and can definitely lead to weakened or damaged skin.

The fact he had a fungal infection is also a good indicator of water problems and vulnerable skin.

Salt baths
Concentrated salt baths can help against fungus, and I think it's good you did it. However, they are also very harmful to the axolotl and especially their skin. Basically, what salt baths do is destroy an axolotls skin and all the fungus in it in one go. That way you get rid of the fungus, but also the axolotl's skin.
With an uncycled tank, it's likely the axolotl with weakened skin will get a new fungus infection immediately, so that's something you should work on.

His slime coat peeling off makes sense, I think, since you have some water issues and then gave salt baths on top of that. Once you have clean water and a cycled tank, this should heal relatively easily. I think right now it's much more important to keep the water clean and get the tank cycled before a new fungus infection.

Thank you so much for your reply. Is there a way I can help correct the water besides doing water changes and keeping it clean? Will it start to cycle properly soon and be ok if I keep my axolotl in there in the meantime? I don’t really have anywhere else to put him and not a lot of money to spend on setting up a backup tank if I had to.

I'm always a bit cautious to answer that, because I know my opinion differs from most other people on the site.

So, let me start by giving the common advice:
- An uncycled tank is dangerous because, as you have noticed, water parameters being off can give all kinds of unpleasant results.
- Cycling a tank can take two months easily. Since you have had the tank running for 2-3 weeks, you can expect at least another month before the tank is fully cycled.
- You would be better off tubbing the axolotl in a separate tank or tub, where you can do regular 100% water changes while your tank cycles. A separate tub is easier to clean and keep an eye on.
- There are some products that can speed up the cycling process, but it will still take a while.

That is absolutely the safest advice, generally speaking.

----

Personally, I would prefer to do an in-tank cycle, with your axolotl in the tank.
The way I see it, if you tub your axolotl, that's uncycled as well- and it adds the additional stress of being less suitable, likely smaller, less familiar to the axolotl.
Even more, it adds stress to you. You want a nice aquarium, and instead you have a tub somewhere on the counter top where it doesn't belong for a month. It really changes the mind-set: the axolotl goes from fun hobby to worrisome responsibility. To me, at least, I'm the best pet owner when I'm relaxed and enjoying myself.

But yes, doing an in-tank cycle takes more work.
You can't afford to get ammonia-spikes (or later, nitrite spikes) so you will have to do constant water measurements and regular, large water changes. You would have to do this with a tubbed axolotl as well, but maintenance on a tub is much easier than maintenance on a full aquarium.
Even more, the cycle will take longer. Cycling goes quickest if you can let ammonia and nitrite spike. With an axolotl in there, you can't: you have to keep ammonia and nitrite low, so the cycle will also develop very slowly.
High temperature also helps speed up the cycle, which you also can't do with an axolotl in the tank.

----

Geez, this has become a long answer. Sorry!

tl;dr:
Cycling with axolotl in tub:
- Quicker
- Safer
- Not as fun
- Axolotl will be stuck in a shitty tub for a month.

Cycling with axolotl in tank:
- Slower
- More maintenance
- Needs more caution
- More fun
- Axolotl will be in a nice aquarium

----

Two side-notes which I just noticed now:

- 15 gallons is on the small side for an adult axolotl. Not sure if you know. Generally, at least 20 gallons is recommended for a single axolotl.

- Those pebbles will become problematic. They seem just small enough that a very stupid axolotl might swallow one. I once had an axolotl who managed to swallow a pebble the size of her head, and she was stuck with a pebble in her stomach for the rest of her life.

Thank you so much for your reply. Is there a way I can help correct the water besides doing water changes and keeping it clean? Will it start to cycle properly soon and be ok if I keep my axolotl in there in the meantime? I don’t really have anywhere else to put him and not a lot of money to spend on setting up a backup tank if I had to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back